Do you ever cry when reading a book or article?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShallyS, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ShallyS macrumors newbie

Last night, I was deeply touched by an article describing how two poor couples live and love each other. Do you ever cry when reading a book or article?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

I tend to get choked up when reading anything about really sick babies or other children. Our son is 11 months old, and I couldn't imagine having to go through a disease or something that would take him away. Before he came around, those kinds of things would make me feel bad for the people, but nowadays, they really hit hard.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If the words are written well enough to convey a deep sense of sadness or touchingness, then I will most certainly shed a few tears.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No

Books are also incapable of scaring me

Movies on the other hand have made me cry/scared

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Your posts are so enlightening. :)

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I cry at sad movies and books.

But, then again, I cry if the pizza delivery is late or I get any dirt on my car. :eek:

:rolleyes:

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm not much of a book reader to be honest, but a sad or touching movie can make me cry.

10. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Yes, a moving story can cause a tear to flow.

KGB:cool:

11. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Haha I have been on this forum for quite awhile, but never once made a second account. :)

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Rarely do books make me that emotional. Or movies. Or TV shows. Or anything really.

The exception to that rule is Doctor Who. Vincent and the Doctor in particular will never not make me emotional. The end especially :(

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Books? Never. I read mostly fiction so... no tears for nonexistent people.
    Movies? Phfffbttt... well only one movie "Grave of the Fireflies" and only when Setsuko...*sniff* Setsu *cry*

Articles...yeah. I the first time I read about a guy named Rick van Beek. What a guy. I had to throw away my "World's #1 Dad" cup.:(

14. andreyirra macrumors regular

I have cried with videogames, movies, books, articles...

So the conclusion is that I cry like a teenage schoolgirl upon the lost of her first love.

I have to admit that books take more to move me, movies coming in second place recently (with age, I guess). Videogames have always been first place to me maybe because by the ending I have invested so much emotionally in the characters. The 45 minute ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 and the 1 hour and 10 minutes ending of the 4th game will walways bring tears to my eyes.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Does the question mean to ask whether you cry with laughter or with sorrow when reading an article which has moved you?

Most of the answers have assumed the latter - and, as the OP is no longer around to elucidate further (he seems to have made only one post prior to being banned), we cannot be certain whether he meant tears of laughter or sorrow while reading a book or article.

While it may be correct to assume the latter, I have actually cried tears of the former while reading books and articles…...

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...and the original post is several months old. Kind of a silly question. Human beings have emotions. If you're never moved to tears, something is wrong.

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Crying: Acceptable at funerals and the Grand Canyon

Ron Swanson

18. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

I nearly cry when read exam study guides and think i have to study all that?

19. Scepticalscribe, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sigh. What a disgracefully intellectually lazy post. At every level. Complacent, pseudo-clever and intellectually lazy. Trite. Glib responses disguised as superficial wit.

I used to teach at university for a living. (History and politics). And yes, I loved teaching, revered learning, was fascinated by research and valued education. Not just as a means of social mobility but as something of value in itself, where learning for its own sake is worth pursuing because knowing things is…….wonderful…...

More recently, I have worked in parts of the world where people get killed for wanting an education, where schools are destroyed, teachers slaughtered, students executed.

Do you really want to know the - endlessly creative sentences - that were begging, nay, bleating to escape from under my gnawed fingernails when I read the sort of witless post you have just written? You are privileged to be in a position to be able to study, and receive the sort of support that is often available in the western world in order to be able to do so. You should rejoice in that, not sneer at it.

Did you choose what it is you are studying? Or, were you coerced, or even emotionally blackmailed into studying it? If not, why not "study all that" and master it?

It is not so many centuries ago that - even in our western world - that education had to be paid for - it was a costly luxury and was regarded as such - and that any sort of access to same was confined to males whose families could afford it. Mock it at your peril.

20. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

This one got to me:

"Howard Lutnick lost his mother to cancer when he was a high school junior. One week into his freshman year at Haverford College, his father died, too — the result of a tragic medical mistake.

That’s when he got the phone call from Robert B. Stevens, then-president of Haverford: “Howard, your four years here are free.”

Since then, Lutnick has been returning the kindness of the college that became a family when he most needed one.

Now 53 and chairman of Cantor Fitzgerald L.P. — a New York City financial firm that lost 658 employees in the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 — Lutnick last week announced a $25 million gift to the school."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...verford-college-receives-m-donation/18352973/

21. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Formal education is a huge privilege. But that doesn't mean everyone has the same passion for it. Yes, it can get people way ahead in life and give them a lot of opportunities, but they don't necessarily have to enjoy it.

Even people with the privilege of an education sometimes have to study something they dislike and a lot of people pursue things outside of their education that they'd rather devote more time to.

A lot of teachers themselves aren't very interested in what they teach, either, and the curriculum (memorizing facts, etc.) can be just be busy-work sometimes. I know of an English teacher who makes her students copy and paste facts into a program that generates papers adhering strictly to the MEL-CON format.

I guess given that there's something really worth appreciating, why not?

22. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I know this is PSRI, but I actually got choked up when I read that the Yankees were paying for the killed NYPD officer's kids education.

23. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

The stunning opening of Denis Johnson’s Tree of Smoke really caught me by surprise and made me cry. I am never quite sure of my expectations of any novel about the Vietnam era. Anyway I was not prepared for the skill with which Johnson immediately portrays what is always one of the great tragedies of war: exactly how young our young soldiers are when we send them off to what they may expect will just be an adventure.