Do you ever sleep talk?

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
I do. It surprised me when my wife told me that when I was sleeping I said "I DISCOVERED IT!" Then she was like "What did you discover?" Then I was like "The pillow with leaves!"

I can't even recall why I said that or even that I said that. Have you ever talked while sleeping?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yes. I can have an entire conversation with someone while sleeping. Then not remember anything when I wake up. My mom uses this to her advantage by asking to borrow stuff that I would otherwise say no to.

Comment

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Yes I do. I am almost afraid to fall asleep in public because I don't know what I will say. My parents tell me I laugh a lot when I sleep too. Weird :p

Comment

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I know I do.

I caught my brother doing it once, something about a Legend of Zelda game or something. I ended up having a 5 min conversation with him and typed up everything on my laptop - what I asked him and the answers I got. I shared it with him the following morning, and we couldn't stop laughing.

Comment

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
那是沒什麼。 我在舌頭的休眠談話,但是只講英語. :confused:
"That is nothing. I Sleep conversation in tongue, but English only"

Now that's impressive. Does not translate too swell...but impressive nonetheless.:D

Hey,iJohn...good to have you back one-upping me again!:D

Comment

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
You will be surprised i would say we all do it!

My wife told me i was having conversations with myself in my sleep and i didn't believe her at all so i purchased a copy of Sleep Talk Recorder from the app store for my iPhone and that not only proved i talked in my sleep! As my wife was worse than me and it even picked up our son in the other room having a full conversation about bathing Pigeons?? And it doesn't stop at the talking it picks up every other noise that may arise " i will leave that one to your own imaginations " You just leave the app running as you go to bed and it only records when a noise is heard!

Good for a bit of fun especially when the wife is on the receiving end of it :D

Comment

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Yep, though I've not done it in quite a while and I'm never aware of doing it.

Apparently I just blather word salad when I do.

Comment

Xavier

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I used to sleep talk a bit when I was a kid, but doesn't really happen anymore.

Same with sleep walking.

Comment

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I giggle & laugh in my sleep, not sure if I talk though.

However, what I do do in my sleep is far less banal, I sleepwalk, specifically I try to climb out of windows in my sleep. It usually happens (though not exclusively) when I'm sleeping in an unfamiliar room, I have reoccurring dreams about being trapped, and then I actually try to escape the room. The most serious incident was trying to climb out of one of the bedroom windows on the top floor of the Hotel Wolcott in New York, it was fortuitous that the window only opened a certain amount, because I would've almost certainly plummeted however many floors it was to the ground.

That said, I still try to climb out of my bedroom window at home… I only attempted it a few nights ago, usually the fresh air is enough to stir me, but I worry that one day it won't be.

I'll spare you the story about the time I walked into my parents bedroom when I was little, and saw that they were missing, only to be confronted by a hooded, faceless figure carrying a scythe in one hand, and a sack dripping blood. That was an interesting experience. ;)

Comment

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My brother, when he was little, used to blurt out words like 'Thank you' and 'Happy birthday' :p

I've used the app that records you in your sleep, and it appears I say absolutely nothing at all. Disappointing. :p

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
GF says I don't. Hope she's telling the truth. However, my little brother did/does. When we were plenty younger in the early 2000's, he would sing Brittany Spears. He was really good at it as well. His rendition of Opps I Did It Again was dead on.

Comment

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I know I do.

I caught my brother doing it once, something about a Legend of Zelda game or something. I ended up having a 5 min conversation with him and typed up everything on my laptop - what I asked him and the answers I got. I shared it with him the following morning, and we couldn't stop laughing.
Mind sharing? haha Though why type it when you can prove it with a recording?

Comment

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Nope. Although as weird as this sounds my brother has actually "sleep-gamed" before. Woke up one morning to find his dvds/games all over the floor and a gamesave from 3:30am on his xbox 360

Comment

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I do occasionally. I'm usually half asleep when I sleep talk though. One time I sat up in bed, leaned forward towards the radiator, pulled back the towel that was hanging from it for a second, and then let it fall back down and and just sat there. My girlfriend said to me "What are you doing?" and that's when I sort of woke up and said 'Didn't you ask for the drink behind the towel?' to which she responded... "No...." Needless to say there was no drink behind the towel.

And frequently I'll say something like 'What do you mean?' and my girlfriend will wake up and say "What??" which is when I wake up and say something along the lines of 'I don't know why I said that...'

I don't know if I sleep talk when sleeping alone though. And I don't think I'll ever know... It's always funny though :)

Comment