Do you ever turn off your MPB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gameaholic, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Gameaholic macrumors member

Hey guys,

This is another newbie question :). I was wondering would it be better for my MPB to turn it off overnight (for 12 or more hours) or leave it in sleep mode and not turn it off at all? I have been turning it off lately but it seems that most people here leave it in sleep mode wheather it be carrying it around or overnight. Thanks

2. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I just close the lid.

It's been on for 2 weeks so far.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many threads on this topic. A great number of us just use sleep mode and rarely turn it off. Mine's been up for 12 days. Sleep mode is fine.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't have a MBP just a Blackbook. I make mine hibernate/safe sleep because it's battery isn't too good. But it used to sleep for up too four weeks before I'd use it again. I do try to restart it every Sunday evening to make it fresh for the following week.

In my opinion letting it sleep is a good thing to do. Yes, it does eat at your battery a little bit, but the wakeup is quick and its always there when you need it.

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I rarely ever turn mine off. I just close the lid.
    The only restarts I do are for updates or installs that require it, and when I wont use it for a few days.

6. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

every night, battery drains too much for my liking

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Mines been up for 35 days, only turn it off to install updates.

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

with the lid closed and the laptop not plugged in, I lost 1% over about 18 hours..

9. celticpride678

I usually just close the lid and it goes to sleep. I turn it off every two weeks just to get everything fresh again.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try hibernate/safe sleep. It fixes the battery issue by writing the ram to the disk then turning off. The only down side is you have to wait for the write to finish before you can move it too much. Or it'll cancel and you'll be in some sort of "limbo" status.

Not every battery is as new or as capable as your's.

11. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I have this pet peeve about leaving computers on at night or when you are out of the house. I usually sleep it during the day and shut down at night.

12. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

5 months old [​IMG]

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll start going down hill when it's about two-three years old. If you treat it right.

14. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

im only at 50 cycles, so hopefully it lasts the life of my machine.

15. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

mine's about 1 month old but it seems to drain a lot more than 1% in an 18 hour period. Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I reboot my machine about once a week. During the school year, at night, I would normally shut it down and pack it up to be ready for the next day. But to the OP, you can just sleep it until it causes problems, but for peace of mind, I would recommend rebooting once a week.

17. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

I just switch from being a desktop user to laptop so this is pretty different for me. But dang! Everyone leaves it on sleep mode here! Is there anything negative about turning it off every night? I like the idea of turning it off once a week to refresh things.

18. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

A little extra strain on components if you reboot it all the time.
    sortof like the old myth that turning off the lights and turning them back on is worse than leaving them on all the time.

this would of corse only be true if the lights had a sleep mode.

19. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Nothing wrong with turning it off every night, some people just like to have instant access to their MBP

20. Salacion macrumors 6502a

If you treat it right it'll last you 5-8 years. I know someone with a 5 year old white Macbook that runs just fine; no lag or freezing. I was stunned.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Macbooks run fine even as they age. What was being discussed was the battery. They do tend to die long before the Macbook itself dies.

22. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I know the MBP battery isn’t ‘user replaceable’ (im assuming this means my mom wont be able to replace it easily, you know...) but is it possible to replace it?

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, if you (the end user) has some computer know how it can be replaced.

24. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    to restart it every day or 2 is a good idea, but you can just put it to sleep and leave it o'nite or when not in use and it won't hurt at all.
    I'm not a fan of never restarting or shutting down tho.

25. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yep, that's what I do. Close the lid every night and then reboot it every week or two, or whenever I need to because of s/w updates.