Do you expect better 3G reception with the new iPhone antenna?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasondono, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jasondono macrumors member

I live in NYC, and AT&T service is terrible. Though getting between 3 and 5 bars of 3G in my home, I can only make calls near the window, and those are of low quality. I've been hoping for the Verizon iPhone, but if I could get better reception from At&T I wouldn't mind staying. Do you think the new antenna on the iPhone 4 will improve things?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Expectations go nowhere. It's just a way of Apple saying publicly: Look, we hear you about dropped connections and poor reception. This is us showing that we are listening .. (by appearing to do something about it).

If it is true, we will know in 6 months, when there are 3+ months of data available. Either there will be mass complaints, or mass praise. Or nothing noticeable.

If the purchase of the phone is because of the antenna, then don't buy it until you hear something about it. I am sure MacRumors has a story in their queue waiting for the fresh data.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The only comfort I can offer is that it won't be worse. Network congestion is different than reception though.

4. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Reception has to be better. The antenna surface area for both 3G and WiFi is larger than the older iPhones, and there will be no interference from internal structure. It was a really interesting design decision on Apple's part.

I found an article on the functional possibilities of that design:

http://www.wirelessweek.com/Articles/2010/06/iPhone-4-Antenna-Big-Improvement/

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

Prediction: Apple will put this new antenna system in the next Airport Extreme.

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I hope so. I don't think I have such bad experience with AT&T as other people (I have full signal in my apartment), but I do experience dropped calls or calls not going through or poor sound quality from time to time. Thing is, I never have the expectation that a cellphone will have pristine and perfect reception at all times, so I'm not complaining.

7. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

So, a question of interest... if there has been scares about cellular phone antennas having potential to cause cancer in excessive users, would having a larger antenna increase that risk?

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Actually, it might be the reverse as the if the phone can get better reception with better antenna, the radio won't produce higher output of power trying to get a signal.

9. kyleb822 macrumors member

kyleb822

I think if they went to the effort of making the antennas part of the outer steel casing, it would make some improvement on the reception

10. Resist macrumors 68030

It's not what we think, it's what Apple claims the change will do. And they said it will. But I am not sure I like the antenna transmitting while touching my face during a call.

11. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, Steve also said that the 3G had some "intelligent engineering," and used the chrome bezel and the ring around the headphone jack as part of the antenna system. So while the surface area is larger in the new design, I don't see reception becoming that much better.

12. Amon37 macrumors regular

Do I expect it, no, but if it is that will be great.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I reeeeealy hope the i4 is better in terms of reception. Otherwise I may have to dump my iPhone completely.

14. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yeah because giving something like an antenna a larger surface area won't do anything for reception :rolleyes:

I have no clue if it will help or not (I could really care less, my at&t service is top notch) but I don't see how it could hurt. Lots of people will still bitch just to bitch.

15. trungthiendo macrumors regular

well i think the reception will be a lot better, but att's network is another problem

i live in a rural area and when i was on the original iphone i would not get signal in the basement, but once i switched over to the 3gs i had 2-3 bars and can make calls...

i would have to say since ur in NYC its probably more of network congestion and not reception.