Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I... I just feel like I have to have everything in one place, and that's my 250GB hard drive on my laptop. I have an external drive, but I just use it to backup my computer.

And thank you. :)

You are just where I was a week ago. I caved in and replaced the 250 in my MBP with a 500 GB 7200 rpm Seagate. $109 from OWC including an enclosure for the old one. My computer is like new and I have a larger external more or less for free.

I used to like having everything in one place, too. Then I absent mindedly deleted the folder I keept all of my finished work in. 100s of print ready 300 dpi tiffs. Bought a MyBook Studio for Time Machine the next day.

Dale

Note: I find groups of photographers very friendly and not gear conscious.
Typical birder at the Nisqually Delta. I feel like I'm the one with the P&S...:)

Attachments

• birder 002.jpg
    birder 002.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 95

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
I do feel out of place when I carry around my DSLR, so I usually bring my film SLR with a prime lens, unless I know I'm going to be taking serious pictures. The good ol' film ones are nice and compact.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
first few times I went in public with my dSLR i felt that way, but now, I just ignore it for the most part. With my grip and flash on people tend to just assume I'm part of the media or event staff (which most of the time I am). Once I get my 16-35 it'll be even more outstanding then the 50 or the 10-22 I borrow. And then, when I get a 70-200, once again even more so.

But, as much as you stand out, you blend in. Kinda funny sometimes.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
I usually avoid taking anything but a compact to social situations, mostly because I don't like having to keep an eye on my gear when I'm doing other things, but also because of size/weight.

As far as being awkward, I'll always remember the time I was at a bar (somewhere around Lincoln Sq. NYC) in the middle of the day and this guy with a 1D Mk IV and a 70-200 f/2.8 was creepily (and more indiscreetly than he probably thought) trying to snap pictures of my friends and other girls there, while drinking with a couple of his buddies. I never want to be that guy.

I was going to type a longer response, but I think you more or less summed up my opinion. I'll probably trade up from a compact to one of these mirrorless systems (once the enthusiasm dies down and they don't cost $1000 for an outfit). But I would never take my DSLR to a family party or social occasion.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I was going to type a longer response, but I think you more or less summed up my opinion. I'll probably trade up from a compact to one of these mirrorless systems (once the enthusiasm dies down and they don't cost $1000 for an outfit). But I would never take my DSLR to a family party or social occasion.

Those events make up a large percentage of what I shoot, and I wouldn't have much left if I didn't take my stuff with me.

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
Dale, forget the camera, you've got bigger problems. You should be worried about the girlfriend. It could be that she is that one-in-a-million, low maintenance keeper that just doesn't feel the need to impress those around her with bigger and better things.
On the other hand, she may not have a good eye for quality photos. She might not be there with "attaboy, your photos are really great no matter what all your friends say". She might not give you that extra encouragement you need that will keep you from wasting your money on that bigger engagement ring instead of investing in that $10K telephoto you so richly deserve.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I just got my first DSLR recently. I'm still learning a lot. Since I'm not known for great photos, I'm not considered a "photographer" and I do feel somewhat out of place.

My wife doesn't help sometimes. I like taking pictures of people. Because I'm still learning I want to shoot as much as possible, which requires me to bring the camera with me a lot. She doesn't understand this and will say "we don't need to bring the camera everywhere we go."

If we are going to the park with the dog or something I don't feel out of place, but chilling with friends or family at a social gathering or party I do sometimes feel out of place.

I'm going to a BBQ this weekend and wondering whether or not to bring it. There will be friends and friends of friends.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I really don't know how they do it, but the photos they take are horrible. It's like they don't mind even in the least about composition.

That's because they don't. They put the subject smack in the middle of the frame, cut them off right at the waist, leave 4 feet of space above their heads, and fire off at 1/60, f/8, with direct flash. I can't think of a worse way to take a compelling picture of someone.

Crysalis

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Hey... after weddings and stuff and dropping way too much money on equipment, I am used to it and I have a right to show my stuff off. Who cares? I take a camera everywhere. If not on my person, it is in my car. If people make fun of it, then I make fun of their camera.

In fact, the girlfriend is always begging me to take my camera out of the bag when she sees someone else with a P&S or a smaller DSLR. "Yours could poop that thing out!!"

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
If we are going to the park with the dog or something I don't feel out of place, but chilling with friends or family at a social gathering or party I do sometimes feel out of place.

I'm going to a BBQ this weekend and wondering whether or not to bring it. There will be friends and friends of friends.

Bring your dSLR and a P&S and see how people react to the bigger camera. I've noticed that, generally speaking, people don't mind having their photo taken with a P&S, but they sometimes get camera shy when you pull out a bigger rig. If that's the case, then you can go back to the P&S.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Bring your dSLR and a P&S and see how people react to the bigger camera. I've noticed that, generally speaking, people don't mind having their photo taken with a P&S, but they sometimes get camera shy when you pull out a bigger rig. If that's the case, then you can go back to the P&S.

The bigger the camera, the more serious people will become when having their picture made by someone on the street. Just be confident in what you're looking for, and the shyness will fade away. Pull out a View Camera... people will do whatever you request in front of it.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
The bigger the camera, the more serious people will become when having their picture made by someone on the street. Just be confident in what you're looking for, and the shyness will fade away. Pull out a View Camera... people will do whatever you request in front of it.

I suppose you are right. I've just never been comfortable taking photos of people. Probably because I hate having my photo taken. I much prefer to be behind the lens than in front of it.

Oddly - or perhaps not - I'm much more comfortable taking photos of people when I travel overseas. Then, I have no problem approaching people asking them if I can take their photo, etc. It's just when I'm at home in the States that I get all shy about it.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007

I think you are right people get more shy with a dSLR, but I want to get more familiar with my dSLR and I like the quality of photos much more. I don't really take pictures of strangers though.

mtnbikemama

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
Northern CA
Interesting topic, Dale. Yes, I usually do feel a bit like a sore thumb when I am using my DSLR to shoot my kids at a kid event. I find that people tend to stay out of the way when I use the "big" camera instead of the P&S, though. Most often people are curious and I'll show them a couple shots. Thats when they say "Wow, that camera really takes good pictures! Mine never turn out that good. I need a new camera." I don't bother telling them that I started seriously taking pictures 25 years ago, and it's not so much the camera as the person behind it. I just smile & nod.

I have a waterproof/shockproof Olympus P&S that I use when I mtn bike, sail, or kayak and it works great, I've been really happy with it. It does have a bit of a frustrating delay, but it's better than not having a camera with me at all.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I suppose you are right. I've just never been comfortable taking photos of people. Probably because I hate having my photo taken. I much prefer to be behind the lens than in front of it.

Oddly - or perhaps not - I'm much more comfortable taking photos of people when I travel overseas. Then, I have no problem approaching people asking them if I can take their photo, etc. It's just when I'm at home in the States that I get all shy about it.

Well, as I keep saying, act like you belong and people will accept you. I wasn't much when I started, but I almost turn into someone different when I pick up that camera and have something in mind.

Then again, I don't mind having my photo taken, so maybe that's where it starts.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Interesting thread. Actually I used to feel a bit weird, but I think if you look like you are confident and know what you are doing(whether you do or not) I just think the public accept you as part of the scene. Some people have stopped me to ask if I am a pro, but they clearly don't know what a D90 is:rolleyes:
Though I do agree for social events carrying the gear can be a pain. But the pain is worth it for some of the shots I get.

However I have discovered that when I am in a city and want to photograph it, getting up very early and wandering around with my camera gear, I tend to bump into fellow enthusiasts carrying their equipment. I was in Prague in June. Early morning at around 6 am gave me empty streets and squares, great light and some wonderful pictures with no stupid tourists ruining my shots :D

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
funny, until I got a DSLR people with them sorta blended into the background, never stood out to me.
Now, like others have said, if I see someone with a "L" lens or a big zoom I'll look at them, their gear, and think "hmm, what settings are they using while they are taking that shot"...or I study how they are setting up the composition, etc.
Learn by watching others.

Over July 4 as I was taking pictures of local parade some guy in parade - with a megaphone - made a big deal of my "big lens" on my T1i.
Mind you it was only my kit 55-250, I felt just a little self conscious....still I took shots.

So, no I don't feel outta place. If you are doing something with a purposeful intent seems people just briefly look at you and then go about their business.

I agree with Nordichund, interesting thread.

slieu92

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
California
I like the group therapy idea. ;)

As for me, i'm a 17 year old guy shooting pictures for my high school's yearbook. Girls yell at me and ask with extreme force that their picture be deleted. Guys push my camera away and leave finger prints behind. And i'm only using a t1i with a 50mm 1.8. It gets worst when i'm using the 430ex ii.
But on a better note, when i'm hanging out with friends, they understand. And the issue about not being in the pictures, i usually hand my camera off to a friend.
I do have a compact sony, but i never use it anymore.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I like the group therapy idea. ;)

As for me, i'm a 17 year old guy shooting pictures for my high school's yearbook. Girls yell at me and ask with extreme force that their picture be deleted. Guys push my camera away and leave finger prints behind. And i'm only using a t1i with a 50mm 1.8. It gets worst when i'm using the 430ex ii.
But on a better note, when i'm hanging out with friends, they understand. And the issue about not being in the pictures, i usually hand my camera off to a friend.
I do have a compact sony, but i never use it anymore.
Same story for me here, but maybe with a little less harassment... :p

Taking photos of assemblies with a 70-200 (or at any school event) usually commands respect. A grip helps too!

Like luminosity, I initially felt out of place but as I got more confident in my abilities, what was happening in the viewfinder became more important than any stares I was getting. I don't even notice them anymore. Most of my friends and my church know me as a "photographer" now, so in most situations others are comfortable with me as well.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'm thinking of starting a therapy group for insecure photographers. PM me $50 USD if you're interested...:D

Dale

Hi. My name is Bruce and I'm a photographer..... :D:D:D

As others, I'm careful about places where my gear might get damaged.

As for out of place....... Never. I just don't care what someone else thinks about me and my gear. It may (or may not) be arrogant but it keeps me stress free.

Dale -- you are a great photographer. You see things your friends don't and then you record them in ways they can't. It seems to me that it's a far trade off.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I get looks when I am carrying my 1Ds and a Mamiya 150mm 4,0 through downtown. At least people move out of my way at events:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.