Do you feel that John Legere has betrayed us all with T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DBZmusicboy01, Apr 29, 2018.

?

?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. No

51 vote(s)
    86.4%
  1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

I knew he was a fake.
    Merging with Sprint will make things worse with competition and he only cares about money. That also means there will be no more Boost Mobile as well

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You are being rather melodramatic.

1. John has done nothing wrong
    2. The rumored merger is still in talks.

3. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

All companies are in business to make money are they not. Without profits businesses will go under. Can you explain how you think he is fake?

4. NoBoMac, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018

NoBoMac macrumors 68000

And in the case of big companies, they need to also make their shareholders money. It's a fine balance to make shareholders happy while at the same time keeping and growing their customer base. End of the day, Wall Street trumps customer base.

And seeing OP seems to be annoyed that Boost Mobile will be a victim in all this: they might not. No reason that they can't partner with someone else (ie. Verizon). Also, they probably have a long term contract with Sprint, so, just cannot pull the plug on them "just because".

From a T-Mobile angle, might be good for those customers as expands number of towers, and probably spectrum.

5. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

No, I think he is doing exactly what a CEO should do, and that's make decisions in the best interest of his employer. A merger with Sprint is probably a good thing. While I think T-Mobile is growing pretty well, Sprint is struggling. If they can work something out with T-Mobile, then the third largest carrier just got bigger and more competitive and has more spectrum to work with to improve coverage and speed. Keep in mind mergers save on overhead, which should lower the operating expenses of the combined company. They can then use those savings to either grow their business, pass that savings on to the customer, or both. I've been a T-mobile customer for a long time, and I don't see it as a bad thing. If they went and bought Sprint for some ridiculous price, I'd be worried, as someone has to pay for that premium.

6. rockitdog macrumors 68020

7. cbreze macrumors 6502a

cbreze

He's a goofy looking dude, but he seems to know his **** about running a large company. I hope the merger goes thru. Verizon and AT&T need bigger completion. Maybe I'll switch when it gets going .

8. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

Sprint seems like it tried everything possible to NOT be competitive. It was dying a slow death, and I'm glad t-mobile was the carrier that scooped it up.

9. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Hopefully, OP can shed some light to prove his claim unless OP is a disgruntled Boost Mobile customer afraid T-Mobile might axed Boost Mobile, Sprint owned, if regulator approve this merger first.

I think it is still too soon to even jump to any conclusion until everything is finalized and maybe Boost Mobile can even hop on T-Mobile network with expanded coverage. Your opinion doesn't generalize all T-Mobile customers feel that way. As a T-Mobile customer, I want better coverage regardless and better rate than AT&T & Verizon.

10. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

T-Mobile is a business and the number one goal of a business is money.
    --- Post Merged, May 6, 2018 ---
    I can't think of any mergers where the customer didn't pay more in the long run.

Mergers are generally good for businesses but not as good for consumers.

11. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

Prices almost always go up. In the case of utilities (or in this case, a telecom), the ability to merge prolongs the cost increases. In this case, both companies can take advantage of their combined spectrum, reducing the need to purchase more blocks, especially in competitions against each other. They can also combine efforts on towers, reducing the need to build more independently of each other. Eventually, these advantages/savings get consumed, and then they have to find other ways to save, or raise prices.

The key here is that this is a merger, not one company paying a premium for the other. Yes, there are significant costs to merge, but that’s in the millions, where one company buying the other would be in the billions.

12. v3rlon macrumors 6502a

As a T-Mobile user, I kinda think this may work out for the better. T-M/Sprint as a merged entity would better be able to compete with AT&T and Verizon. There is only so much bandwidth spectrum to go around, and this might work out for the better.

While breaking up AT&T and Verizon would probably be a BETTER solution, this one at least has a chance of happening.

13. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I'm for this merger. To get good coverage, you need lots of customers, and this will certainly help them compete with ATT and Verizon. Three competitors in the space isn't bad at all, especially in such a mature market.

OTOH, it's only a betrayal if you believe the marketing, which you really should not. T-Mobile (and John, and most companies) are running a business to make money. If you remember that, you won't feel betrayed when they try to make money.

14. rumplestiltskin macrumors regular

I've been a TMo customer for about five years. Nothing really to complain about. The new 65+ plan (at $60) cut at least $20 off my bill (for two phones). I get free texts and data when I travel most everywhere overseas.

As for the merger with Sprint, well, why not wait until Sprint is really sucking wind and then get their assets for half the price? The only thing they bring to the table is bandwidth. Their actual service is miserable with dead spots and dropped calls (so my unfortunate friends tell me). So I hope Legere gets his money's worth.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

I was listening to a podcast, (I think it was Upgrade) and one of the hosts mentioned 5G as a potential reason for the merger. 5G is much higher bandwidth and will require a lot more towers. Both AT&T and Verizon have the customer base and reach (not to mention money) to make this happen. But T-Mo and Sprint would have to each outlay significant capital per user to make 5G happen.

It’s either 5G or get left behind. And one of the ways to make it easier is to join forces.

Also T-Mo has done some great things for customers across the board. We’ve unbundled phones from contracts and I’d say that prices have come down and/or speeds (and data buckets) have gone up.

16. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

Will this affect Virgin Mobile which is owned by Sprint? I ask because Virgin Mobile administers a government funded lifeline program called Assurance Wireless. It would be unwise for them for them to abruptly cut service since they risk ripping off the government in the process since the government pays for prepaid service for qualified lifeline recipients.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2018 ---
    Verizon should buy Boost Mobile and use Boost Mobile to compete against Cricket.

17. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

I do feel like with net neutrality being abolished, this merger feels very uncomfortable to me. I could be wrong but I see a trend of higher prices. Possibly unlimited becoming either absurdly expensive or done away with all together.

How is this going to pan out with all of the unused spectrum Sprint has that has been mismanaged for so very long? How will this affect the rollout for band 71 with T-Mobile?

While I don't have a good feeling about it, I'm not sure if it's because I used to work for a subsidiary of Sprint or because having fewer choices reminds me of the internet/cable price fixing that screws us all.