Do you find Instagram's popularity confusing?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's just not that great of an app. It doesn't do anything that Facebook doesn't do, and the interface/design is terrible. It's just trendy/stylish, that's it.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
It's great to share photos with all my followers

I try to keep my Facebook as "professional" as possible. Instagram for everything, Facebook more for achievements. I don't find it confusing in terms of ease of use.

applegeek25

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Toronto, ON
The idea behind Instagram isn't the problem. Most users are not tech-savvy and actually appreciate/need simplicity in computing. That's what Instagram offers: a simple way to quickly share your photos with friends and family.

The problem is the lack of organization within the app itself. A lot of users have 300+ followers and are following 300+ other users as well. Scrolling through the main news/photo feed is very cumbersome at best.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It fills a somewhat different need. It's there just for photos and not that much more, and even with that it's there for usually filtered photos. That's mostly what you get front and center and not that much else, so there's not much more to look through and make your way through except just photos and that's it.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It fills a somewhat different need. It's there just for photos and not that much more, and even with that it's there for usually filtered photos. That's mostly what you get front and center and not that much else, so there's not much more to look through and make your way through except just photos and that's it.
But they're crappy, small photos that you can't even zoom in on.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I used to, but now it's my main social networking App. It's fun to post random videos and pictures.

----------

Small? Crappy? That's pretty subjective. Yeah, you can't zoom but that's hardly a deal breaker.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And that's what they are meant to be. It's not a photography app, it's just a "fun" quick visual sharing app.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's simply an app for people that want to express themselves via photography.

While not completely limited to mobile camera and viewing (snapchat for example) it for the most part is used exclusively that way.

Since you can't zoom not only is a mobile camera great for using but the picture is viewed as attended by it photographer.

Also and unlike Facebook there is not usually many comments. Plus it doesn't have status updates at all. Nor ridiculous ads.

While I agree Facebook is more popular and I use it more often it's hard to say its "better". I mean come on, do you really care someone you rarely see is going out for Chinese then is going to hit up the gym? Status updates are usually mind numbing. Hey 3 of your friends like target! Great stuff huh?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do you find Instagram's popularity confusing?
Nope. I find it helps to understand that preferences and interests vary from person to person. It's not for me but that doesn't make its popularity confusing. Popular is just popular. If you don't care for it then move on to something you do care for.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
It's great to share photos with all my followers

I try to keep my Facebook as "professional" as possible. Instagram for everything, Facebook more for achievements. I don't find it confusing in terms of ease of use.
Followers? Achievements? haha, I get what you're saying, it was just weird to read. Celeb in our midst? or pro-gamer? lol. I jest.

(...) Yeah, you can't zoom but that's hardly a deal breaker.
For you. I have zero use for a photo I can't zoom in on. Hell, my families old photo albums (remember those? damn...) even had magnifying lenses tucked into the inside cover pockets.

Nope. I find it helps to understand that preferences and interests vary from person to person. It's not for me but that doesn't make its popularity confusing. Popular is just popular. If you don't care for it then move on to something you do care for.
But why is it popular? It's distilled Facebook. Its twitter photography. I'm confused by the popularity myself. I suppose people just like exposure and being able to do/have/be into something that some others aren't.

Twitter + Instagram = Facebook?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Followers? Achievements? haha, I get what you're saying, it was just weird to read. Celeb in our midst? or pro-gamer? lol. I jest.

For you. I have zero use for a photo I can't zoom in on. Hell, my families old photo albums (remember those? damn...) even had magnifying lenses tucked into the inside cover pockets.

But why is it popular? It's distilled Facebook. Its twitter photography. I'm confused by the popularity myself. I suppose people just like exposure and being able to do/have/be into something that some others aren't.

Twitter + Instagram = Facebook?
Seems like it's not a deal breaker by most given the number of people using it. Again it's simply a different app that simplifies and focuses on one thing--sharing quick (usually filtered) snaps without any extraneous stuff of status updates, sharing of links, etc., etc., etc.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
grown up and companies aren't searching for you on instagram.. But they're sure are trying to find your facebook
yet. ;)
I had it, uploaded a handful of pics and realized I had no use for it. No one cares what I post and vice versa. It's not sad, just not something I care about. I do use FB.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Seems like it's not a deal breaker by most given the number of people using it. Again it's simply a different app that simplifies and focuses on one thing--sharing quick (usually filtered) snaps without any extraneous stuff of status updates, sharing of links, etc., etc., etc.
People are sheep

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People are sheep
Because of what in this case, using an app to share pictures because it works for them and they don't really need or care about anything else? Everyone is different, doesn't mean it's good or bad really when it comes to simple preference things like this.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Because of what in this case, using an app to share pictures because it works for them and they don't really need or care about anything else? Everyone is different, doesn't mean it's good or bad really when it comes to simple preference things like this.
I think a lot of people just follow trends. For example, no one needs a $2500 laptop to browse Facebook and download music.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think a lot of people just follow trends. For example, no one needs a $2500 laptop to browse Facebook and download music.
Sure, but that doesn't really seem that much related to using a free app.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's just not that great of an app. It doesn't do anything that Facebook doesn't do, and the interface/design is terrible. It's just trendy/stylish, that's it.
Haha.. those are all opinions from the eyes of a single humanoid amongst billions of other humanoids. It's possible that not everyone sees things the same way and enjoys a particular form of social media to another.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People use it without even questioning it, or noticing it's extreme flaws.
Or they use it because it works for them for what they want to use it for, and they don't experience any real flaws or flaws that really affect them one way or another?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Or they use it because it works for them for what they want to use it for, and they don't experience any real flaws or flaws that really affect them one way or another?
You're missing the point that they would use it regardless.