Do you find phone upgrades a disappointment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamin00, Nov 3, 2017.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

I upgrade every year and this year waiting for the X had me the most excited I have been over a phone for ages.

However, as always, after that first half hour playing with it and looking do you also realise that apart from a change here and there, that’s really it and there’s not much else going on and you put it down and that’s it lol.

Can’t just be me?

Perhaps I should keep a phone for a couple years but I’m an early adopter type of guy and can’t help it :)

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

If you’re expecting your phone to take you to mars, we’ve still got some time for that.

3. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

switch to every two years. or more..

the new one will be more exciting for longer..
    and it's cheaper too ;)

4. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Lol. I don’t know why I do expect more? Perhaps my expectations are to great.

Don’t get me wrong, liking the new phone just it’s always an anti climax as the thrill of the new phone is gone so quickly

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's your problem.

If you don't upgrade every year then the updates to the phone will feel more substantial, as it stands the iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 is a really minor update. Now the X gives you some more bells and whistles but much of the internals is still the same as the 8, so by inference there's not much difference then the iPhone 7

6. barkomatic macrumors 601

You've got a lot of Apple products in your signature. Perhaps you simply have enough and don't need anymore? Go out to a nice dinner and forget about your phone.

7. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

You can never have enough lol. Just updated it to reflect the phones change. My daughter now has a nice 7

8. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

You answered your own conundrum. I wonder how many X owners will upgrade next year? Anyone that does - personally speaking - is someone that is more obsessed with having the latest thing rather than considering practicality and functionality. Then again, people are free to do what they want but I always feel you need a phone for 2 years to really get the most out of it and then you get true hype and satisfaction when you upgrade after that. Anyone that keeps a phone for 3 or so years is in for an even better upgrade. That's my mantra, it suits me and isn't necessarily suited to others.

Consumerism controls most of us and tbf, it's fun.

9. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

God yes I’m an early adopter and I have to say I should have given it another half a day or so as I love the X and what it brings as a device. This is the first time I have actually enjoyed getting the upgrade, completely changed my view on it and won’t be so quick to judge next time :)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm coming from an SE to the X, and I'm finding the differences between the two to be significant. I'm really happy with my purchase and I think as mentioned before the reason is because I haven't upgraded annually.

11. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

No disappointment. I upgraded from iPhone 7 Plus. After using the X quite a bit, I prefer the X size with the plus battery power to the large plus size which now becomes inconvenience compared to the X. Until Apple releases X plus size with battery power and memory more than the X and 512 GB, I will stay with the X for a while. I love the X design, power, memory, Face ID and size. It is just a perfect iPhone.

12. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

If annually upgrading, then it would be getting every new year model of your favorite car series. You won't find much changes after 1-2 years. You start to see the improvements after 3+ years or so.

Maybe up to 5 years nowadays for how improved hardware and software has become. Imagine getting iPod, iPad, or MacBook every new year? Android has been stuck with Quad HD for three plus years now.

That's why video game console launches from the 90's and 00's were so exciting. There was a minimum 5-year gap there. We could see the drastic improvements graphically after half a decade.

With smartphones, you can't expect any brand to reinvent the wheel every year. You need longer gaps from upgrading to feel the changes. It won't feel fresh if you upgrade annually.

13. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Agree with this all now

14. drzen macrumors regular

drzen

At this point in the iPhone design evolution the grid of icons has attained a sort of fixity that the original typewriter keyboard has attained, where we continue to use it despite it forcing you to adapt to something which could long have benefited from some logical and elegant changes to UI/UX.

15. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Coming from a 6S no. If I was coming from a 7 or 8 then maybe.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am still excited about upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus to the iPhone X.

Remember: The iPhone is a tool. If you are looking to be constantly entertained by your iPhone, you will be disappointed, as that is not Apple's job to keep you constantly entertained by the latest device.

Happiness and contentment comes from within a person, not from some external Apple gadget.

17. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

That's what it's all about.