Do you find Siri harder to use...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pd1987, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Pd1987 macrumors member

Pd1987

With the new home button? I find myself having trouble using it - specifically getting the timing right. More often than not I activate Siri and while speaking I get, "sorry, I didn't get that," or some other garbage. It even happens when I say a really short command, like "open Yelp," or something similar. It's pretty frustrating. Out of frustration I just enabled hey siri lol.

It's just a little annoying. I don't use it all that much anyway since Siri is pretty useless and not very smart (opinion), and only use it to open apps one-handedly while driving or something.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

3. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

What's Siri? I kid, but I rarely use it. I mean barely at all. First if I want to make an appointment, say a follow up at a doctor, I don't want to be at the counter and be like "oh ok sure that date should work but shhhhhhhh hold on, hey siri set an appointment at XX:XX for X date". Dunno it just still feels weirds and even when I do it out in the car it seems like I always have to alter something (thinking calendar appointments) that I have to go back in and edit. Like the title, notes, what calendar group I want it under. Also I don't trust siri enough to say "hey siri, text Bob bla bla bla" and then just put my wrist down. I end up spending more time making sure it actually says what I said and sends before I put my wrist down.

With the new home button I haven't had any accidental siri activations though. Isn't there an option to turn siri off?

4. areyoushook macrumors member

areyoushook

yeah I noticed this, and it's been bugging me

I press the button and the first thing it says is "I didn't get that"

5. l3uddz macrumors 6502

last couple of days, ive had it where ive asked siri a question and it just spins indefinitely trying to interpret what i said, anyone else had this issue?

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It works as it always has, similar to the original home button. No issues here.

7. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

i mostly use hey siri, but I just tried the home button and it worked fine

8. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Hate to say this. But it is never as good as google voice. I stopped using Siri a long time ago.

9. ebika macrumors 6502

I find it more difficult to use too. I'm not sure if it was an iOS 10 change, or the new button. Coming from an iPhone 6, I like the always available "hey siri" activation, so I use that more.

I agree that Google's AI has better recognition. Too bad there's no way to integrate it with iOS beyond their web search app. It's mostly pointless for me to use in iOS.

10. Pd1987 thread starter macrumors member

Pd1987

Literally the same thing happens to me!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 18, 2016 ---
    Yeah, Google's is way better. The voice recognition and the information provided are way better than Siri

11. Gzalito macrumors member

IOS 9: Just press home button 3 secs, release and speak

IOS 10: Now u have to press and KEEP PRESSING till you finished...

thats the issue

12. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

Coming from an iPhone 6, I find I use siri much more, now that I can freely do "Hey Siri" whenever I'm driving. No real issues calling her up by voice or by touch.

13. its Dale macrumors 6502

i get the same "sorry i didnt get that" message frequently too

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems to work the same in iOS 10 as t did before for me.

15. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Last time I used Siri I asked if the name of the song on the radio. In fact, I think that's the only thing I've used it for in the past few years.

17. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

I don't have to do that. I just press and release and she still listens. No Problems with that at all.

18. Gzalito macrumors member

Well, thats not working for me.... is that an option?