Do you find that Safari takes time to 'warm-up'?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ss957916, Mar 28, 2010.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I've always been aware of it but only in the last few days started to question it. When I start-up my Mac, Safari opens automatically to Google's homepage. When I then put in another site, it'll hang for about 5secs then slowly load the page (taking perhaps another 5secs). As I click links/navigate to other sites, Safari will get quicker until, after a couple of minutes, it's lightening fast.

Does everyone's do this?

2. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I would guess slow dns lookup, the startpage is from cache so that is fast.

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'd dare to say that any addon's you have installed for Safari could cause this too.

Once I install Glims, Adblock and Click2Flash, mine drags for like 5 seconds or so on startup but then it's fine. I assume that's because it's still loading the addons.

5. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Safari does that for me too. I have absolutely no plug-ins or ad-ons installed, Java and plug-ins are disabled.

If I try to load something as soon as I can, it's slow. If I let it "warm up" by itself (about 5 to 10 seconds) and start using it, no problem at all. And no, it's not related to DNS because I tried it and it does the same thing with pages stored locally with no external server references.

Then again I'm on a Mac mini, who knows if the hard drive speed has anything to do with it. Maybe the slowness at the beginning is Safari asking the computer to clear so much RAM that our computers are busy swapping, so it's not Safari being slow but the computer itself.

6. bcrguy macrumors regular

i know i have safari set to start up to the Top Sites page.. first time i click a page it takes a couple seconds...

7. Arrandale macrumors regular

This is natural, it's Safari's cache coupled with OS X's dynamic app loader.

Everyone's does it, but it's only really noticeable on slower computers / internet connections.