Do you find the new rose gold Macbook ugly?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hajime, Apr 25, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I have a rose gold iPhone and it looks lovely. When I went to the Apple Store yesterday, I expected to see a beautiful MacBook. However, even from far away, it looks ugly. How come? Is it because of the black keyboard?

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

A brown one would look pretty ugly. So would a purple one.

As it is, I prefer the classic silver look, and that's the color I'll get when I decide to retire my MBP. I've never been a fan of the space grey look, TBH. I think that color looks like crap. In fact, my choice, in order of preference, would be: 1. silver, 2. gold, 3. rose gold, 4. space grey (and it's actually a pretty close call between 2 and 3.)

3. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Lightning is a factor, it can look good or bad depending on how it's viewed.

4. double329 macrumors 6502

I would not say the rose gold is ugly. It's just not for me.

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's very personal. Never one to think of a laptop as a fashion statement or accessory, I find it hideous.

Yet... I'd bet Apple and it's ego driven design group found a reason to justify it. With endless marketing muscle, Apple will subsidize it's success like they're doing with Apple Watch. Once again proving it's good to be Apple.

6. Brad9893, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016

Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

I just wish that Apple would stop calling that color rose gold. It's NOT rose gold, and it's an insult to the real thing. When done properly, it's actually a pretty attractive color. Rose gold is suppose to be a combination of gold and copper...

[​IMG]

while Apple's rendition of it is nowhere near that. Apple's rose gold is just straight up pink. It doesn't look anything like the real thing; there are no gold or copper undertones present at all. I have no idea why they are calling it rose gold. It's closer to Pepto Bismol than it is to rose gold.

I'd buy a MacBook that was actually rose gold in a heartbeat, but this is just not it. I'll stick to a more classic silver.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

8. PlayHard macrumors member

I love the color and yes, I think it's pink. I can totally pull it off so I don't care if people don't like it or think it's not masculine.

9. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

Some people like it.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

10. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

+1 I saw it in the Apple Store this past weekend. I'm not going to say it's ugly, but my guess is that it won't be asked out on many dates!

From best to worst in terms of color (IMHO): Gold, Silver, Space Grey, "Pink"

11. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

I know that there are many shades of rose gold depending on the ratio of gold to copper. I was just giving an example of what actually could be considered rose gold. I wasn't trying to say that it had to look exactly like that. The shade that you show is also rose gold, just less coppery it seems. Apple's rose gold can't be considered rose gold at all in my opinion. There is nothing gold or copper like about it...at all. It's just straight up pink.

I guess I am just annoyed because when I heard the rumors of the rose gold iPhone 6s, I was super excited about it. Then I saw what we got.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

My take is that it is far more "in your face" than the iPhone or iPad with the same color. Those devices have white faces. The color is much more visible on the MacBook since the entire lower case (including the wrist rest) is colored.

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Lightning can make everything look good or bad. Mostly bad though.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I prefer my devices to stay away from lightning.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Quite easily if you know what USB3 really is and aren't seeking a desktop computer replacement.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2016 ---
    Yeah, lightning tends to destroy stuff, making it look really bad. :p

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Grab a Western Digital My Passport Wireless drive that includes an SD card slot and allows wifi connection to the drive from your computer. Of course it also has USB3 if you want faster hardwired speeds.

I don't have one, but it does look pretty neat.

17. helloitsme macrumors newbie

If my masculinity weren't so fragile I'd probably buy the rose gold MacBook.

18. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

The only conclusion you could possibly draw on this is it's personal preference. I've a rose gold MacBook, phone, and iPad. I think they're nice. Lots of people don't. Some of my friends think it's ostentatious; others love it. No colour is objectively better. Buy the colour you like and enjoy it! :p

19. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I have a rose gold 6S+ and love it but I find the rose gold macbook to be a bit much

20. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

The pink is very feminine - some people will no doubt like that.

21. Jack Neill macrumors member

Jack Neill

Rose Gold looks like someone vomited a salmon dinner onto ballet shoes.

22. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I'm a big fan of the Space Grey myself, matches my Space Grey iPhone 6S nicely. The normal silver one looks fine but I detest gold and rose gold, just so incredibly tacky and unsophisticated but that's just my opinion.

23. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

It certainly creates some strong feelings/emotions.

24. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

If a person likes it, its there choice and $$ to get what THEY like.

Definitely not my 1st choice but I'm happy for those have have one and enjoy it.
    Whats under the skin is the same...

25. numtini macrumors newbie

I really like it. I was afraid it would be too pinky pink, but it's more reserved. I think a lot depends on the light though. It's one of those colors that can be perceived very differently.

If only I liked the keyboard as much...