Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I actually make my playlists based by my mood at any given time. Some of mine are:

Acoustic Blues
Electric Chicago Blues
'60's acid rock
'70's rock
female vocals
classic strings
absolutely upbeat feel good crank it up
sombre reflective
etc

I like every song I own. So, it is just a matter of selecting whatever group I desire. No skipping involved.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
There is a strange phenomenon that occurs when using an ipod or itunes to listen to music if you are shuffling. If you start skipping you have to find a song that is better than all of the songs you have already skipped, and you know its out their cause you are skipping through the whole library. Eventually you go on a skipping frenzy hoping for the perfect song.

Not to mention we all are probably listening to a lot more music now and new things become older quicker.

I make very particular playlists to narrow my almost 4K playlist to 1-200 song lists. I have one that gives me new songs that I've been listening to lately. Set it to songs listened at least 3 times added to the last 3-6 months (adjust so the playlist is a decent 100, 150 songs). Another is my neglected playlists, songs that are 4 or more stars but not listened to in 6-8 months (again adjust to get a good 100 song list). Another that bridges the gap is any song rated 4 or more stars but only listed to 6-10 times or less. This gives you songs that you like, recent or old, that you might want to listen to more.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
You've Gotta Be Kidding Me!

The iPod was the best thing to ever happen to my music collection. When you have nearly 1,500 CDs, and only a Diskman and 5-CD changer, you don't get to randomly sample your music nearly as well as you do with the iPod. However, getting the most out of your iPod requires organization of each track and your use of playlists, both in iTunes and with On-The-Go on your iPod.

I have 23,000 songs in my iTunes library and 16,000 songs on my iPod. Through the use of playlists by musical genre, artist, or other factor (Guilty Pleasures, which I label in the iTunes Grouping field, for example) I can always find something that fits my mood. If I need to wake up, I'll put on a list filled with aggressive dance tracks. If I want to mellow out, I'll put on some classical or Pink Floyd.

And if I'm not sure how I feel, I put the iPod on Shuffle (by album), and just let it play. If I hit a song that I know I won't want to hear again, I rate it with 1 star. I manually manage my iPod so it only loads playlists. All my playlists are set to remove songs with 1 star, and I have a Blacklist playlist of 1-star songs on iTunes that I can occasionally review if I want to reinstate anything I may have removed in haste. And with iTunes 7, I've also put in a Skip blacklist - if I skip a song more than 5 times, it gets taken off my iPod and goes into the Blacklist. If it's something I skipped because I just didn't want to hear it at the time, but I don't want it off my iPod, I'll reset the skip count in iTunes.

While this has taken a lot of thought and work with both iTunes and my iPod, the end result is that I always have music with me that I want to hear, and I can easily access whatever best suits my current mood. I've never enjoyed my music collection more, and I cannot ever imagine living without my iPod now.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
in fact since getting an iPod my general interest in music has skyrocketed and i'm finding more and more i like in a greater diversity.

Ditto here. although my interest in music has always been high, I think the iPod has opened up more doors that I would have come across on my own if it did not come into existence.

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
I totally agree with you

I find myself scrolling trough my album covers almost every day and I am totally bored with it.
With itunes I look trough my whole collection every day wich I would never have done in my CD days.

The thing that works for me now is that I put itunes on shuffle, I skip a song here and there and when a song pops up that fits my mood I stop shuffling and listen to the full album.

Meh, it works for me I guess.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm way less bored since getting an iPod.

I use shuffle with smart playlists that bump out songs I've heard recently and songs I've skipped recently. They get allowed back in the mix after a few months.

Love it.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
i love music even more now.

but my miniPod has defintely helped me weed out songs i "kinda" liked, since i only got 4GB of space.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
not really. frankly it gives me more a love of music. songs have been increased every month. now, my ipod video 60GB is almost full with around 6880 songs, hundreds of videos. so do I keep these songs in my itunes library? NO. my itunes is only running with recent songs, albums. it's got about 3000 songs so far. but they're almost later the year of 2005 to today. the reason is that I am really getting tired of old music very quickly, and continue to explore new music. so after certain period of recycling, about 50% of songs go to ipod video, and external HD.

I created tons of smart playlists from artists, albums, music videos to shuffle playlist, nano playlist, workout, chill mood, blue monday... on itunes. because when you have tons of music, you don't want to type every artist for finding through search bar. just go down to smart playlist. it's more easier to me. plus, if some albums or songs don't have any specific category like Mercedes Benz mixed tape series, just create new playlist in order not to confuse with others.

iSaint

macrumors 603
With 4,600 songs I find myself listening to my favorite stuff over and over. Usually I go through phases, though, and listen to a particular artist for several weeks. It's fun to find old stuff and play it for my students or friends who haven't heard certain songs in a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.