All iPads Do you find yourself needing cellular?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xNYMetsx, Oct 26, 2013.

?

Do you find yourself needing cellular?

1. Yes

109 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    50.5%
  1. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Just wondering if anyone uses the cellular or just mainly sticks to wifi.

2. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Having cellular makes my iPad useful in virtually all situations. It's saved my bacon with work on multiple occasions, and has allowed me to perform other personal tasks while out-and-about that would've otherwise been impossible/highly inconvenient (running a VNC client on your phone really sucks compared to an iPad).

3. Vladislav macrumors regular

Cellular for me, because i love to brag about it! :D well, seriously i probably dont need it but i prefer my Ipad to have GPS chip in it!

4. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I have cellular in my Mini and it has saved me time and again when wifi was not available or when wifi was ridiculously expensive. A few times when at home and our broadband connection was down having LTE and Hotspot available helped tremendously.

5. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I rarely have my iPad outside of my home & when I do, I get free tethering through my iPhone.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That's what I have with my mini. When out and about I always have my iPhone with me. Tethering is included within the package so doesn't make any sense to pay for more data.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's mostly a convenience plus LTE is faster than a lot of WiFi hotspots & private areas too. Caveat: I have a grandfathered ATT unlimited plan so I don't really have a meter to watch. I've never come close to the 5GB LTE cap.

8. Threni macrumors member

I had the 3G iPad 1 and 3G iPad 3 and I would definitely get it in the air. I find it really useful. I could tether with my phone but it is £5 extra a month and only gives you 1GB. I do use quite a lot of data as I like iTunes Match. So I pay £15 for 15GB.

I have unlimited data on my iPhone 5S which I pay £12 a month for calls etc....

I like unlocked devices then you can switch if you wish as they are rolling contracts.

9. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I know its probably obvious to most but how do you tether your iPhone to your iPad?

I currently have the 4S and am looking at getting an ipad mini and can't decide whether to pay the extra £100 and get the cellular version or just do this tethering thing i keep reading about. Do you need some sort of lead or can it be done over wifi or bluetooth.

10. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I don't use it much at home but I use it a lot when traveling on business. Really nice as a passenger to use Apple apps in the car.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

So true.

For me, having cellular on the iPad serves an extra purpose. I have AT&T postpaid for the phone and Verizon prepaid for the iPad. Using two different providers pretty much means there's coverage wherever I go. The Verizon iPad has actually saved us quite a few times when the outdated maps on our GPS have gotten us lost in the boonies where AT&T has no signal.

12. Z3man macrumors 6502a

No need to answer, i have stopped being lazy and googled it, i just have to go into personal hotspot. Also looks like tethering is free in the UK with Vodafone as long as you don't go over your allowance.

I think i might just go for the wifi iPad then.

13. Seniordan macrumors regular

90% of my life takes place in my room, and at school. Sad life. Don't need cellular.

14. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Definitely worth paying the extra for.

It's just worth having it available so you can use your iPad almost everywhere. Invaluable to keep my wife amused in the car to play games on long journeys or check stuff she wants to buy on the way to town!

15. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

I thought I had this all figured out. A couple years ago when I planned on purchasing my first iPad (it didn't happen), I spoke to a Mac geek friend who works for Apple. Since I know he's under a major NDA, I prefaced my question that if he couldn't answer, no worries. I asked if a cellular iPad was needed when I could tether to my iPhone. He said no, it isn't & to go with wifi. Since I'm on a Verizon share everything plan with 2GB, I think I should be fine. The flip side is do I want to shell out the extra $130 to get a wifi cellular iPad, try out the tethering to save money & if it works, don't buy the additional data plan but have the option to if I find tethering not working as well as I'd hoped. I think Verizon charges an additional $10/mth if I were to add a cellular iPad. Obviously I'd prefer not to if it's not needed and also save $130 by buying wifi only.

Decisions, decisions. All are making my head hurt. But since I don't do any major traveling, I don't think I need a cellular iPad.

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I need cellular. I'm not around wifi all the time and it's a reliable way to be connected.

17. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I need it for those situations where I have work to do and am not in a wifi area. Usually I only use 250-300 MB/mo so not a lot, but the times that I do need it, I really need it. I'm now using the AT&T 1GB for 3 months plan for $25. Works out to $8 and change each month. Way better than the $20 I was spending on Verizon for 1GB/mo that I didn't use up.

18. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

My iPhone is AT&T and my iPad is Verizon. I did this because Verizon has LTE in many more areas plus it gives me a nice backup should I need it. Will never purchase without cellular. But I am out and about a lot and tethering is not always convenient. Everyone has to consider there own situations!

19. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Yes it all about decisions, i don't do a lot of travelling either, i am mainly thinking about the tethering for when i go on holiday 3 or 4 times a year if there is no wifi available.

The next decision i have to make is whether to go for the old iPad mini or the new retina one due out shortly. I have been waiting for the retina one coming out for ages, but with the drop in price on the old one i am in two minds now. The old mini can be had for £222 here in the uk now, whereas the new one will be £319 and like rocking horse crap to get hold offer the first few months.

20. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

That's why I'm also leaning towards wifi. I think cellular for me is overkill. If it doesn't work out, I'll go cellular with the next one. But to save approx. $273 ($130 + $10/mth + tax) for one year, when mine will mostly be used at home or can tether to my iPhone 5, wifi makes the most sense on all fronts. I can use my iP5 as a GPS and have a Garmin in the car so having GPS on the iPad isn't a big deal to me.

As for what model, that's easy. I've been waiting for the iPad Air size with the thinner bezel for more screen space, and it's here. Can't wait.

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You don't have to get a data plan for it. That's the nice thing about iPads (with prepaid data). Data is available if you need it but you can easily cancel the data plan from the iPad itself when you don't.

22. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Yeah, that's what I was saying in my first reply upthread. The one where I said I thought I had it all figured out. I wish I could test them out side by side. I need to step away from this for a bit and give my poor brain a break. We still have time. But thanks for your suggestion, rui.

23. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I tether from my iPhone. The iPhone isn't cheap, and neither are the phone plans to go along with it. My plan allows me to tether at no extra charge. I'm already paying these premiums; maximizing it with the seamless tethering between iOS devices is just being cost-effective. Why pay for data for an iPad and pay the premium for the cellular model when I've already paid for a high-end phone and its own data?

24. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

Cellular will come in handy and with t mobile's 200 mb free for life that's something to consider. Check out t mobile. 24 months to pay interest free with free 200mb / month. What's not to consider?

25. darkknight11 macrumors member

if you buy the tmo device from apple directly and pay 529, 629, etc, you are still entitled the 200 mb? do you have to set up an account with tmo?