Do you forsee the iPhone on Sprint within a year or two?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kcjohn, Jul 10, 2010.

1. kcjohn macrumors member

kcjohn

I've been with Sprint for 10 years and have always wanted an iPhone but didn't want to switch carriers. I enjoy all of Apple's products, especially the iPod brand. I don't want to switch, then in a year Sprint gets the iPhone. I know everyone's speculating on this but I'd like some opinions from those who know what they are talking about.

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Sprint: Thumbs Down [​IMG]

Sprint is the laughing stock of the cell phone industry.

I know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'd say slim-to-none. They currently use CDMA, which the iPhone doesn't support. AT&T (and Verizon) are pursuing LTE, which I assume will be the next technology the iPhone supports. I believe Sprint is supporting WiMAX. My guess is that Sprint and the iPhone will continue to be incompatible during the 4th generation of cell phone technologies, which probably will last longer than a year or two (probably 10+).

4. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Just from straight up news websites/forums browsing. I've been led to believe that the iPhone will come to Verizon before it does Sprint. But, of course, knowing when that may happen is like knowing where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. :p

Get the HTC Evo to whet your appetite in the meanwhile.

5. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Sorry, your not going to get that information from a message forum. Only Apple "knows what their talking about" when it comes to the iPhone moving to other carriers in the USA, and so far, they aren't talking about anything....

6. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha kcjohn,

As you're probably already aware, Sprint has already chosed WiMAX for their 4G network. The rest of the world, meaning the rest of the carriers in the US (to the best of my knowledge), as well as the rest of the world, has already chosen LTE, or Long Term Evolution, for their upcoming 4G networks. In other words, LTE will shortly become the global standard for 4G cell networks. Unless Sprint changes to LTE, you will have to switch carriers to get an iPhone.

As for the January Verizon iPhone rumors, those people are simply deluded, or listening to those people that so want one, they'll constantly repeat rumors with no legs in a vain attempt to "make it so". Apple will not release another iPhone in January, and most likely will not announce another iPhone then either. They've kept their product release cycle steady for the past three years, and a Verizon iPhone, while important to those who want it, is most certainly not enough to warrant a January announcement. On the flip side, why make a CDMA-specific iPhone for a company that is already working on LTE? In other words, why not wait until June 2011 or June 2012 to come out with the LTE version?

7. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

No. Although it's hard to say what's going to happen once AT&T's exclusivity is up.

8. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

There is a chance that Clear which created the Wi-max 4G network that sprint uses could switch over to LTE sometime in 2012. If they do then we could see a iPhone on sprint.

9. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

question is, can the iphone alone help sprint become successful.

10. iWantiPhone macrumors regular

11. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

In a way they are pretty successful they have great plans and loyal customers. And a good network in certain places. But the thing that ruined sprint was the nextel purchase. They should have never tried to run 2 Different networks using incompatible technologies.

12. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Sprint is a troubled company. They've been experiencing a mass exodus of subscribers for years. They have put up a good front, and borrowed a page out of Apple's creative spin control manual. Anyone who follows the cellular industry knows it's a house of cards. They are not the kind of company to build an iPhone for.*

13. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Currently Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA - if a CDMA version of the iPhone is released then technically you could use the Verizon iPhone on Sprint..as long as your area is not upgraded to 4G yet?

If you really want an iPhone than get a separate line with AT&T and forward your calls when you don't want to carry both.

Personally I had Sprint for many many years before getting an iPhone in Nov. 2007 aways preferred the name/service/internet speeds but nothing compares to the iPhone and the App Store!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not successfull at all.
    They are the number 1 carrier in losing customers each quarter.
    I dont see them regaining any lost business any time soon and highly doubt Apple would bother with them.

15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

A) Most of you guys are using the term CDMA completely wrong
    B) It doesn't matter what technology Sprint uses, if Apple signs a deal with them, they'll have an iPhone
    C) I doubt Sprint will have an iPhone soon but who knows, maybe Apple will do it just to spite Verizon.

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

its more likely to come to verizon, and MAYBE T-mobile?