Do you game with the lid closed? [w/ poll]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entity, Sep 2, 2009.

?

Do you game with the lid closed?

1. Yes

26.3%
  2. No

63.2%
  3. Want to, but nervous to

10.5%
  1. entity macrumors regular

Hey guys, I know this is an age old question and MRoogle didn't come up with any information on the newer Macs.

I currently have my MBP hooked up to a 21" LCD monitor. The MBP sits on an iCurve. During normal tasks I leave the lid closed, but I'm a little nervous to do it while gaming.

I'm not real concerned about CPU temperatures, but I am about the LCD, especially near the AC plug area which can get extremely hot to the touch. Would this do any damage to the screen after a spirited gaming session? I'd imagine AppleCare would cover any issues that would arise but I don't want to ever go that route :).

Thanks everyone!

2. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

3. p3ncil macrumors regular

did a little experiment on my side.
    no numbers sorry.

but as far as i know, when your mbp is running clampshell, temperatures increased much faster compared to normal usage.

So to play safe, i don't run in clampshell mode.

4. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Usually I just leave it open just a little bit, like an inch or so. I'm too afraid to close it all the way, heat would build up really quick, and I'm not sure how good that is for the LCD.

5. entity thread starter macrumors regular

6. livelikeasam macrumors newbie

Just a question on the subject of gaming, your GPU during gaming, whats it temperature? Using GPU-Z while gaming in Windows I'm at 85C, owning a GMA 950 Macbook which used to reach 90C it doesn't bother me but it seems a bit high? Using the 9600 btw

7. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

i would not risk to damage the screen by using the laptop closed

even if apple says that it is possible to use it with lid closed, i wouldn't

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

sometimes apple's advices are no good to follow if you want your hardware to live long and prosper