Do you get a discount when you purchase Applecare with your Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AbyssImpact, Mar 17, 2011.

1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Just wondering because if so, I would, but if not, I would just buy it when 364 days and 11 hours and 59 minutes and 59 seconds passes.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you qualify for an Education Discount, yes. Otherwise, no.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

I think the only discount you get is if you buy an Apple Cinema Display at the same time, and the AC you buy will cover BOTH the MBP and ACD. That is what I understand per an Apple employee and the AC box

4. 19abby macrumors newbie

i got my MBP today for £850 and they put in the APP for jus £48.....all this was with student disc of course.

5. AbyssImpact thread starter macrumors 6502a

How much of a discount? On Apple store, it is $239 with apple discount. Is it different in store?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Depends on which model. 239 for high-end MBP 15", 183 for low-end 13" No different in the store.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You know that UK HE students get a 3 year warranty for free online/phone? If you got AppleCare today you can still cancel it. If you bought in store you don't get the 3 year warranty as standard.

Sorry, US discount is quite modest. Same in store.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

B&H sells it for $244, which is a great price if you don't qualify for the educational discount.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You can get the educational discount on AppleCare at any time during the first year of ownership (providing you still qualify for the discount, of course!). So still no reason to buy at time of purchase.

This is at least the case in the US. Maybe different elsewhere.

Also, in the other direction, if you have AppleCare and lose/destroy/whatever your computer, you can get a prorated refund.

10. 19abby macrumors newbie

what!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:i had no idea....i bought mine in store

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Sorry! If it really bothers you could try returning the MBP and buying online. But it is only £45 on £850, so could be worse.

Full details here- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

Hopefully it will help you or other students you know in the future! :)

12. 19abby macrumors newbie

well thanks for that...am not gonna return it...it was jus £45 so doesnt really matter much.....but i will keep it in mind for the next time.

13. Mik3F macrumors 6502

The discount only applies if you are at a HE establishment. You don't qualify if you are at a FE establishment

14. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I know FE students still get a discount in the UK. Just not as good as an HE student.

I thought US FE students (or whatever FE is in the US) could still get an education discount? May be wrong, don't know much about their system.