Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Try To Get Launch Day Device?

• Yes, I Do All I Can for a Launch Day Device

Votes: 67 67.7%
  • No, I Wait A Little While And Order Online/Store Pickup

Votes: 32 32.3%

• Total voters

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I will be upgrading to my second iPhone this year (iPhone 6).

Out of nosiness, do you members like to be one of the first people to have one or do you prefer to wait a few months.

I hate the thought that this phone will sell out and probably won't be in stock until February, but I'm cautious of a launch day device because the first batch always seems to have issues, plus the nervousness from trying to order online before the site crashes or waiting in line for hours.

What do you guys do?

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Last 3 releases I had launch day iPhones 4s, 5 and now the 5s - will be going with the smaller iPhone 6 launch day too - praying for a preorder this year

Never had a problem with the first batch

Last edited:

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
My 4S I bought it day one at 9am, my 5 they didn't have on launch day (And I was pissed!) and my 6 I will hopefully have day one, that depends on the shipping since it'll be the first time i buy it directly from Apple!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I usually preorder for a launch day device, but otherwise I don't really care.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I don't get launch day anything. I am very fearful of new electronics and problems. I don't have to have the brand new "thing" as soon as it is out. I am perfectly happy to wait either months for it to be proven in the real world or until my current "thing" breaks/gets lost/no longer meets my needs.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I got my 5 in January 2013 but only because my previous phone bricked. Since I'm in a Verizon contract with no early upgrade, I won't be able to get a launch day 6. Wouldn't really want one anyway. I did get my rMBP as soon as it was available for store pickup.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I try to preorder, but I don't stress over it. If I can't preorder I'll just get it whenever it's available. I don't mind waiting a month or so for it if I miss out on launch day. Never bothered to stand in line though.

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
I will be upgrading to my second iPhone this year (iPhone 6).

Out of nosiness, do you members like to be one of the first people to have one or do you prefer to wait a few months.

I hate the thought that this phone will sell out and probably won't be in stock until February, but I'm cautious of a launch day device because the first batch always seems to have issues, plus the nervousness from trying to order online before the site crashes or waiting in line for hours.

What do you guys do?

I work very hard & smart and I wait and see where it's going.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have pre-ordered online in the past. I'm not sure what I'll do now. It all depends on what apple does and my desire for it.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
granted I'm eligible.. which I'm always am on September releases, purists order online and have that 3amET release date experience. :)

boy august will screw me over because I won't be eligible. :(

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Do You Get a Launch Day iPhone or Wait?

I rarely buy any product on launch day. I usually wait at least a month so I can read user feedback, and see what accessories become available.

I could go the early adopter route though, because I have an iPhone 5 that's been reliable and can act as a backup if the 6 were to have issues.

Fresh.

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
I must be boring in the sense that i don't get a new product until at least 1 year later. Which then i know doesn't make it new. Not on superstar wages for the latest iPhone you see.:(

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Wow, more people than I thought like a launch day device. Your nit worried about first shipment issues?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No. Never. I hate lines.

Lol, I'm the same way.

If I could casually walk into a random Apple store and pick up a launch day iPhone I probably would. But I'm not standing in a line of people waiting for one.

Also this go around I'm going to wait a month or two to read all the reviews. Maybe wait till iOS 8.1 or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.