Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
I'm in a professional association that just sent me an email saying they're finalizing a, "member discount program with ATT for cell phone services (including iPhone)."

I'm wondering if anyone here has a discounted iPhone plan that could tell me what rates I might be able to expect.

Thanks.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
That would be a FAN discount and it will vary by organization. You could receive discounts on phones, monthly service and even feature discounts. Please note that they currently do not offer any discount on the iPhone 3G only on the service and features.

The monthly sevice discount normally ranges from 5%-30% with a couple of FANs that reach 50%. Some groups also get the same discount on data services and this may include the iPhone.

Dave

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
50%? wow, i thought they went up to only 28%

That would be a FAN discount and it will vary by organization. You could receive discounts on phones, monthly service and even feature discounts. Please note that they currently do not offer any discount on the iPhone 3G only on the service and features.

The monthly sevice discount normally ranges from 5%-30% with a couple of FANs that reach 50%. Some groups also get the same discount on data services and this may include the iPhone.

Dave

seand1111

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
I get 20% on rate plan and services and 35% on accessories. No discount on the iPhone but I do get discounts on other phones. It's hard to say what that discount is because it seems to vary month to month and seems to vary phone to phone. Sometimes my prices on phones are not as good as regular online prices. Sometimes they are way better ( like when I got my tilt for free).

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I have 2 iPhones only on my plan (family olan) and AT&T says I can't use a FAN discount because I have iPhones. :(

seand1111

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I have 2 iPhones only on my plan (family olan) and AT&T says I can't use a FAN discount because I have iPhones. :(
First gen or 3g? I lost my fan when I had my 1st gen, but got it back with my 3g.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA

seand1111 said:

First gen or 3g? I lost my fan when I had my 1st gen, but got it back with my 3g.

One 1st gen. and one 3G.
Should I try applying
FAN again?

seand1111

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas

One 1st gen. and one 3G.
Should I try applying
FAN again?

If the 1st gen is on the primary line then you will not be able to get the fan discount.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Sean is correct, due to the revenue sharing arrangement between AT&T and Apple there is no FAN discount for the original iPhone.

If you switch you iPhone 3G to your primary line (anchor line) then you will receive any discounts on voice and data that your FAN allows for the 3G. You will not receive any data discount for the original iPhone regardless of which line it is assigned to on your account.

Dave

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Sean is correct, due to the revenue sharing arrangement between AT&T and Apple there is no FAN discount for the original iPhone.

If you switch you iPhone 3G to your primary line (anchor line) then you will receive any discounts on voice and data that your FAN allows for the 3G. You will not receive any data discount for the original iPhone regardless of which line it is assigned to on your account.

Dave

Sweet! Thank you Sean and Dave!
I will give it a try today!

*Woohoo! 500th post!*

seand1111

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
Sweet! Thank you Sean and Dave!
I will give it a try today!

*Woohoo! 500th post!*

I specifically ordered my 3G to replace my 1st gen just so I could get my discounts back. The discounts I get outweigh the extra $10 a month the phone will cost and they will pay for the new phone in 4.5 months.....BTW, not sure if its still messed up, but the Premier site has been allowing Premier customers to purchase refurbished IPhones, even when you are not eligible for and upgrade (supposedly you are not supposed to be able to get the iPhone refurbished if you are not eligible for an upgrade, your supposed to pay full price for a new one.....). Might want to look into that...

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
I saw that a similar (but smaller) association that I'm in gets 10% at tmoblie, so I wonder if this one will be along the same lines. I guess that's better than nothing, but AT&T w/ 10% off would still be more than Sprint (who I'm currently with) at regular prices. We'll see...

kwyn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Do discounts stack?

ex.) 18% for working for the state currently. Can I also add a AAA discount on top of that?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Hmm, FAN assignments are mapped based on the email domain you provide when you register for access in the business site. There could be a mix-up in the FAN table. Do you have another member of your company / group that could confirm the error?

Dave

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Hmm, FAN assignments are mapped based on the email domain you provide when you register for access in the business site. There could be a mix-up in the FAN table. Do you have another member of your company / group that could confirm the error?

Dave

I used my .me email address.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
That's funny but I don't think you will get the best discount from your MobileMe account. It seems that Ron's call solutions used the .me domain to register with AT&T. :D

As I said above, your email domain is used to assign your FAN when you use the "Online" link.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.