Do you get charged for Wi-Fi on jailbroken iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solidus422, Oct 5, 2008.

1. solidus422 macrumors newbie

im thinking about buying my friends jailbroken iphone. im already with AT&T but i want to know that if i want to access Wi-Fi and not the internet At&t provides.. will i get charged? and also if i can acces my yahoo or msn or AIM for free?..

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you have an AT&T plan currently, simply tell them to disallow data access to your SIM. ALL of it.

Then just use Wi-Fi for Internet on your iPhone. They have no control over that. They cannot charge you.

3. solidus422 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm.. i dont understand.. because my SIM right now is on my LG. i dont have any contract signed or anything. so i can use my same SIM i have for my LG and just slide it in the iphone and still get free Wi-Fi?

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Wi-fi isn't a service provided by the provider. Rather, it's much like your laptop where it cannot to any hotspot or router, giving you FREE* access to the Internet.

* Unless you're foolish enough to try to use Starbucks or other pay-for-use hotspots.

5. solidus422 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!
    and what about the instant messaging?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right -- Jailbreaking has essentially no effect on your access to WiFi. Any WiFi service that would have been free to you on any other device continues to be free to you on your iPhone; any WiFi service to which you don't have access, such as paid WiFi hotspots, isn't available to you whether or not you Jailbreak.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If you're on a wi-fi hotspot, then you can use the AIM app from the iTunes Store for free, If you have unlimited txts, sync your phone number in the AIM on your computer, and it'll recieve it as a txt.

8. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

You will need to watch out for data usage on AT&T's network though. It's expensive when you don't have it on a plan.