Do you get the same speeds now that Summer is here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stayfly2407, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Since the weather is better, more people are out, & more people seem to be using their phones while out & about. Have you noticed a decrease or increase in your speeds? Here's mine on average, but really slows down around 8pm. Anyone else?

Attached Files:

2. MsRandall macrumors 65816

MsRandall

No decrease for me - I'm still getting awesome speeds. Now to kick my sons off my plan so I can go back down to a 128 dollar bill too

Attached Files:

3. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Wow, those speeds are awesome :-o
    My home WiFi gives me a 48Mbps download speed and a pathetic 2MBps upload. It's fibre optic too and apparently faster than 70% of the UK population...

4. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

My 5 mbps stinks :(

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Nah, It's about the same, year to year so far.

But, I'm on Sprint. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Sheesh, come on over to the dark side bruh lol. I had sprint a few years back and got those same speeds, it was well worth spending a little extra for a more reliable network.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

LOL! Yeah. I'm out of contract in September. My wife still has a year to go.

However, based on the rate of LTE sites being approved in my area (Phoenix) I predict that things won't get "better" until May, 2015. Between now and then is January 2015 and that means our tax refund. Sprint has between now and the time I get my refund.

If speeds are bad when that money hits my bank account I will be taking John Legere's advice and will #sprintlikehell to my nearest T-Mobile store. At that point, I will only be dealing with one ETF and if T-Mobile is still paying ETF then I will take them up on that.

Even if they aren't, I'll be out. I decided to give Sprint two last years when I got my iPhone 5. We're in the final hour here and while they have LTE here, it's still crap, except in the places I'm NOT at regularly!

8. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Lol these are the speeds I get on sprint.

Attached Files:

9. cynics macrumors G4

I sometimes wonder about speeds in the summer. I do a lot of work in server rooms that are shut down and loads are transferred to servers in different locations due to cooling failures. It's incredible how much heat things like that can produce (like taking a room from 60 f to 140 f in 3-4 minutes.

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I imagine you are in an area that at minimum is 70% LTE accepted?

I ask that because I don't deny those speeds, I just don't get them. In August, 2013 Phoenix had it's first LTE tower go live. I actually drove over to where it was to use it. I got close to 16mbps down. But that was the LAST time I saw those speeds.

Sprint launched PHX at 40% of completion. It now stands at 55%. Our major problem is backhaul. Upgrades have been met, but when you have nothing to hook things up to…well things still suck.

But this is what happens when you pay the contractors peanuts and do not put terms in your contracts that give rewards or penalties for completion times.

Lastly, my iPhone 5 is not Spark enabled. And PHX is not a Spark market - yet. Even if we were though, my iPhone 5 can only take advantage of 1900mhz for LTE and 800mhz for voice. The 5s and 5c can do 800mhz for LTE as well, but not 2.5Ghz. Sprint uses all three frequencies in aggregation for Spark.

Sprint's LTE promise for Band 25 (1900mhz) was 3-6mbps when fully built out. I'm not even hitting the low end of that on average. And because of all the upgrades, 3G is now more common because that's what the network drops to when all the other towers have to pick up the slack for the offline towers that are being worked on.

I know it will get better at some point, but it just seems that point is going to be beyond the two years I gave Sprint.

----------

Abso-friggin'-lutely! I deal with this with my PowerMac G4 all the time. That's just one Mac. You're talking servers under load so I totally see that.

11. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I'm in Houston and I believe was at 90% or higher according to one of your links. I'm lucky I'm in an area where sprint actually works, I absolutely hated those 3G speeds.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah, Texas has been a struggle for Sprint, but I hear it's much better now (your report confirms that).

It'd just be nice if Sprint could finish up PHX.