Do you get UPDATED releases when NOW download old OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Riwam, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Some posts mention that if you presently download again from the App Store a previously "bought" old OSX, like Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks, your download will include all the updates released until now.
    For instance you will not get Mavericks in the original Mavericks 10.9.0 but it will be 10.9.5.

Can someone confirm this for sure, since in the list of "bought" Apps at the side of any old OSX you read the original release date and not that of the latest update provided by Apple since then.:rolleyes: ???

A following question:
    If it should be the case that you download presently an already up-to-date OSX (as far as Apple updated it) I wonder if it applies also if Internet Recovery works for you (it doesn't always, for instance no reaction with Command-R in my MB 4.1).
    So you will not get the ORIGINAL release which was SHIPPED with that computer but the presently updated one (as updated as Apple did it). :rolleyes:

Thank you very much in advance for any confirmation of "YES UPDATED" or... "STILL ORIGINAL RELEASE" in both situations, through a normal download from the App Store and through Internet Recovery.
    :)
    Ed

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will always get the latest version through both the App Store or Internet Recovery.

Let me explain what I mean by "version" though. Internet recovery will always give you the OS X version that came with the Mac, but updated to the latest point release. So if you bought a Mac with Mavericks 10.9.1 and today you did Internet Recovery you would get Mavericks but the latest point release which is 10.9.5.

Similar with the App Store. If for example you have Yosemite in your purchases list in the App Store and download it today you will get the latest point release of 10.10.5.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Absolutely accurate.
    When you download Lion, or any later OS X version that you have purchased from the App Store, you always get the latest "point" update.
    The only way that you would get the original version, as shipped, is if you keep a backup of your original system, or keep a copy of the installer from that time. Might be interesting for a collector to have the exact original system, but not so much for real life, as the updated version should have all security patches included, and other fixes relevant to that system.
    Internet Recovery, likewise, would offer some version of OS X, and would install the latest point update for that OS X system.

4. Riwam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Thank you very much DeltaMac for your answer.
    Accordingly if I want to install again any previous OSX supported by any Mac, I must always download it again in the very latest moment prior to the installation to get the OSX with all the updates which were added until the moment I am using it.
    This is certainly a very useful information which not everyone knows.
    Thank you very much!:)
    Ed

5. chrfr macrumors 603

You can use your existing installer and just use Software Update to get the latest patches afterward. There isn't a real difference between the two methods.

6. Riwam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Very kind of yours, Weaselboy, to inform me of this important fact.
    I have often used an installer of a previous OSX I had kept in my computer.
    However, as you tell me, I should always download it again before installing it.
    From the size of the Installer unfortunately one cannot know the difference. :oops:
    However according to your explanation, the right way to re install any OSX is to download it again at the moment of installation in order to get it as updated as possible.
    Thank you very much for your kind help! :)
    Ed

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is true that would get you the latest complete version. But if you already have say a USB key installer with Mavericks 10.9.3 there is no real reason you could not just install that then right after the install run software update to get to 10.9.5 like chrfr mentioned. That would save you having to do the whole download again and create the USB key again.

8. Riwam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Thank you very much chrfr! :)

Although what you say makes sense, there are special cases of installing a OSX not "supported" by an old Mac according to Apple.
    Some kind developers have found ways to overcome such limitations like SFOTT and the very useful MCPF discussed and explained in other threads concerning that so called "unsupported" hardware.
    In such cases it might be useful to install from the beginning the latest possible OSX coming already with all the available updates, particularly the security ones.
    It helps avoiding the need to patch again the system after updating it.
    However what you say certainly makes sense for any normal user with supported hardware. In such cases there is no difference between updating by oneself or getting an already updated Installer.

Thank you very much for your feed back :)
    Ed

9. Riwam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Riwam

My concern Weaselboy was to install a OSX which according to Apple is not supported by a previous Mac... but can be done using for instance MCPF.
    After every update in such cases you must repatch the system.
    Using the latest available installer makes in such cases life easier.
    Thank you again :)
    Ed

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... gotcha. That totally makes sense. :)

11. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I tried doing Internet Recovery on my late 2011 MBP, and it downloaded 10.7.2., which is the original OS it came with.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you sure you did a command-option-r boot then erased the disk first and installed? That should give you 10.7.5.