Do you get your tech news via RSS feeds or by visiting the websites??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BadboyHouse, Mar 26, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Just interested in what others do here. I used to get my tech news all in one place using say Google Reader.

Whilst this was ok, I found that it meant I never actually visited the websites that the feeds belong to - I didn't need to.

In the end though I got fed up of just looking at a text based rss app and switched back to visiting the sites directly.

I do have quite a few tech/gadget sites that I access daily so it does take quite a while

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I find it's much more interesting to visit the websites. Reading RSS feeds is pretty boring for me

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I visit macrumors and Engadget pretty often. About as much as espn. Ill visit others around product launches for some extra insight or different material as well.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

visit the site every time.

i have a folder with them all in and just do right click, open all bookmarks.

5. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I do this now.

RSS turned out to be far to boring for me. Just lines and lines of text essentially and it was easy to miss something that would normally grab my attention if I'd been looking at the main site.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Either I click through from Twitter or I just go visit the site directly.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I tried to do RSS three or four years ago. But I hardly knew anything about such things, and failed to get it to work. Haven't tried since, don't see a need to.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Visit the websites. It already works fine for me, I've never tried RSS feeds.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

RSS, via Google Reader/Flipboard.

Except for MacRumors itself, which I visit.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Interesting question.

All my blogs that I read, including 9to5Mac, CoM, TUAW and non-Apple ones like the Playstation Blog and InterfaceLIFT are all RSS feeds in Mail. Find it much more convenient to do it that way.

The only sites I visit are MR and Engadget, as Engadet post too many stories to stick in my feeds so I read it every once in a while.

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

I use Google Reader as a simple and clean way to weed out what I don't want to read.

I'll go through each section (ESPN, BBC, Chicago Sun-Times, Engadget, etc.) and open the stories I want to read in background tabs while I keep weeding out my feed.

Though Macrumors is one site I don't have in there or really care to add. I have to say I only read the front page every other day or so, even if I check the forums daily. Too much iOS/iPhone/iPad news that I don't care about (own 0 iOS products) and not enough Mac posts, so I don't bother reading them.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

One of the reasons Twitter is so popular is that RSS feeds are so unknown and relatively difficult to use.

RSS is very powerful and there's no reason why articles served by websites using it cannot be every bit as rich as their website counterparts.

I use RSS extensively - Google Reader plus Reeder on my Mac and iPhone.

I can't understand how anyone can possibly follow news without RSS - how do you know what you have read and what you have not?

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Short term memory helps. :p