Do you give personal info when buying software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thisday, Sep 22, 2009.

1. thisday macrumors member

Hello everyone. There are many great commercial apps for the mac. My paying choice is paypal, but 90% of those when you checkout still need name, last name, address, telephone zipcode etc (not paypal, the companies that developers choose to handle payments). What do you do in these cases? You give your real info or just type something so its not blank?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're paying with a credit card, many times you need to provide the correct name, address zip code and sometimes even the phone number that's on file with the credit card.

So yes I provide the correct information, especially if I want FedEx to deliver the product to me :p

3. thisday thread starter macrumors member

I mean with paypal. Eg. Rapidweaver. I choose paypal in checkout and still need all that info. On the other hand in BetterZip payment if you choose paypal the page is updated and doesnt require any info, you go straight to paypal.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

With PayPal you're still giving them a lot of personal information, you just don't have to enter it each time. The answer to your question is almost inevitably "yes, every time you buy something online you give up some personal information."

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Are you on the lam or something? :cool:

6. thisday thread starter macrumors member

I thought that only paypal new my info when i buy. You mean paypal gives the info to them automatically so i dont type them?

Yeah ;) Well i find it unnecessary to give my info for a download+paypal. But since miles01110 above said that eitherway the info are given, if true, then its pretty much pointless to talk about it.

7. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I just give the info. I own a house and a business, private is just a word.

8. thisday thread starter macrumors member

Bottomline no privacy you say... Well, hard to prove you wrong.