Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Which iPad do you go with?

• Wi-Fi

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Cellular

Votes: 83 41.3%

• Total voters

Username-already-in-use

macrumors regular
May 18, 2021
Cellular for me. I got Cellular for the 12.9 for just-in-case, but in reality it has always stayed at home. The Cellular has been very useful for the Air 4 - and most importantly the Mini 6. It’s been a convenience for me.

dmdcash

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
WI-FI as an ATT customer I get free hotspot with my iPhone 12 and that’s more than fast enough when away from home.*

Reactions: Caliber26

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Wi-fi only. Right now, I'm always at home. When I move to a bigger city, I plan to get a better cell plan with tethering, so I would still go wi-fi only for an iPad.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
UK
Cellular for a Mini, WiFi for anything else. iPad 3 was an expensive lesson.

My Mini 6 will probably stay until 6G comes along, I don't like paying for the same tech twice. Where I live, mmWave likely isn't worth having.

Reactions: leperry

smirking

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I always get a cellular iPad even though I can always use my phone as a hotspot. My iPad and my iPhone are always on different cellular networks so no matter where I'm at, chances are good that at least one of my devices will get a signal.

Verizon on my iPhone and T-Mobile on my iPad is my usual combo. They seem to complement each other well. If one is weak in an area, the other is usually strong.

I do this to always have a usable hotspot for my MBP. Always having usable Internet lets me get away from my office whenever I want.

Last edited:

TwitchyPuppy

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2016
Canada
iPad 8th Gen cellular, since open, public networks aren’t secured and using my phone’s hotspot drains its battery!

Last edited:
Reactions: 00sjsl

wilberforce

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I usually get a cellular iPad whenever I upgrade because I keep my iPad on a different network than my phone so chances are that no matter where I'm at, at least one of my devices can get a signal. My usual combo is my phone on Verizon and iPad on T-Mobile. Those two networks seem to complement each other well. If I get no service with Verizon, T-mobile is usually pretty solid in that area.

I do this so my MBP has a decent hotspot almost anywhere I'm at and it allows me to get my work done and roam freely if I wish.
Hmm, yes, I suppose you could use your iPad as a hotspot for your phone, which is the opposite of what most people probably do. No phone calls though, I presume, only cellular data. Or does wifi-calling work from your phone through your iPad?

Last edited:

UBS28

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2012
I had cellular on my previous iPad and decided to go with Wifi this time.

In the end, I will just use internet off my iPhone.

It saves money (also in mobile subscription) and I use my iPhone the most when outside. So I couldn’t justify the extra costs.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
My new mini 6 and my old mini 2 are both cellular, but every full-size iPad or iPad Pro I’ve owned has been wifi.

EastHillWill

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I had a cellular 12.9 for over two years and used that feature…twice. Canceled the data plan and traded it in on a Wi-Fi iPad. It’s very cool that it’s an option, but clearly not for me.

Reactions: Realityck

turbineseaplane

macrumors G3
Mar 19, 2008
I’ve loved cellular in the past, but I now prefer having a hotspot that the whole family can share off of...

Much less convenient doing that with tethering off the iPad

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Europe
Wifi only except my Air 3. Wish it was my mini 5 with Cell instead. Besides that I use mobile hotspot when needed. I never connect to public wifi with out VPN if I must.

smirking

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Hmm, yes, I suppose you could use your iPad as a hotspot for your phone, which is the opposite of what most people probably do. No phone calls though, I presume, only cellular data. Or does wifi-calling work from your phone through your iPad?

I do occasionally use my iPad to provide a hotspot to my phone, but it's mainly for my MBP. If I can fire up a reliable broadband connection anywhere I am, I can get away from my office more easily.

Reactions: wilberforce

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Always WiFi for my iPads because if they are outside of the house I use my phones WiFi hotspot. I have unlimited data and can tether as much as I like on my plan.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I love the idea of my iPad having it's own 5G connection, so I know I'm getting the best possible performance instead of draining my phone and getting worse performance, but also, I'm not in enough situations where a hotspot from my phone isn't enough.

If I were going to get an iPad mini, I would probably only get a cellular so that I could use it as a stand-in for situations where I want to be connected but not necessarily have my actual phone on me. All other iPads, nah. Wi-Fi is enough.

Reactions: 3Rock

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Wifi. Not sure I get the point of cellular. Yes, I see the reasons stated, but they don't sound compelling to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.