Do you go shopping on Black Friday?

Do you go shopping on Black Friday?

• Yes, I go out to stores and try to grab door busters.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Yes, but I do all my shopping online to avoid the crazy crowds and lines.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No - I sleep in, eat leftovers, do crossword puzzles. Basically anything but shop!

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
How do you feel about shopping on Black Friday? Do you go out and spend money or would you rather just stay in and let everyone else go crazy?

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I used to go shopping with my mom, but we don't go anymore since she now has to work on Black Friday. We never went to the really early door-buster sales, though. We always headed out around 10am, which worked well because the early birds were heading home or to breakfast, and we still got decent deals on things. :)

This year, no shopping for me. Won't be home, don't have money.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yeah i'll be at work too. not that i have any money to really spend this year on gifts for people at any rate.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Eff no. You couldn't pay me enough to go out to a store on BF.

The deals are crap anyways. Most of the in store prices aren't any cheaper than prices you'll pay online year round, or if they are cheaper than online, not cheap enough to warrant standing in lines for hours and fighting crowds and traffic only to find the store sold out of said item. I've always done my holiday shopping online and will continue to do so.

Just an example, I'm getting my dad a Rebel XS. The cheapest in store prices I've seen for it on BF are still close to $100 more than what you'd pay on Amazon anytime of the year for it.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I will be working on Friday. No one else in the office does, which means I can arrive a little late, leave a little early, not be bothered, and most importantly, save my vacation hours for a day when I need them. Working on Black Friday can be a glorious thing.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I don't like the commercialization of the holidays. Usually I either make gifts or buy things that are much more personal, and tend not to be included in the blockbuster sales.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I will be working on Friday. No one else in the office does, which means I can arrive a little late, leave a little early, not be bothered, and most importantly, save my vacation hours for a day when I need them. Working on Black Friday can be a glorious thing.
There's nothing I hate more than when a holiday falls on a Thursday and I have to go in Friday. To be honest, I'd rather work Thursday. I work 7:30 to 4:30 so I could still be home in time for Thanksgiving with the family (although sometimes I think I'd rather stay at work :D) and have Friday off and the long weekend.

Up until this year, black Friday was a paid holiday off, but they changed it this year so it's no longer a paid holiday, but a regular work day, but they gave everyone an extra personal day for the year. The flexibiliy is nice, but I'm taking that personal day Friday ;) (and Wednesday too. 5 day weekend begins in about an hour!)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't bother, I don't care for people or crowds and I couldn't care less about Thanksgiving or the crazy routines that follow.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Isn't Boxing Day similar over there?
No...because so many people take off the Friday after Thanksgiving (only US has Thanksgiving), retailers seized on having sales to lure shoppers in and mark the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. As so much business was done, it was reported that the increased sales put the retailers "in the black" for the year. Hence, the name Black Friday was born.

As for Boxing Day...educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Online only - no reason to leave the house to wait in line for 2 hours for a gift someone's going to hate anyways :D

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My wife goes out. She's very particular about where she goes though and does her research first. It's not about the "doorbusters" but finding the deep discounts on other stuff like toys and such. Last year she got all of our son's Christmas gifts at ridiculously marked down prices. He's four years old and it's crazy how expensive toys have become. I remember when action figures were like one to two bucks, now their typically seven to ten dollars. It's nuts.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
No...because so many people take off the Friday after Thanksgiving (only US has Thanksgiving), retailers seized on having sales to lure shoppers in and mark the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. As so much business was done, it was reported that the increased sales put the retailers "in the black" for the year. Hence, the name Black Friday was born.

As for Boxing Day...educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day
I knew what Boxing Day was, and your link pretty much confirms my suspicion that it's like Black Friday:

In some states of Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom, Boxing Day is primarily known as a shopping holiday. It is a time where shops have sales, often with dramatic price decreases. For many merchants, Boxing Day has become the day of the year with the greatest revenue.

Many retailers open very early (typically 5 am or even earlier) and offer doorbuster deals and loss leaders to draw people to their stores. It is not uncommon for long queues to form early in the morning of 26 December, hours before the opening of shops holding the big sales, especially at big-box consumer electronics retailers.

The Boxing Day sales have the potential for customer stampedes, injuries and even fatalities.
All I was asking in my question was "Isn't Boxing Day a huge shopping holiday similar to Black Friday in the US?" and apparently it is.