Do you go shopping on Black Friday?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Nov 24, 2009.

?

Do you go shopping on Black Friday?

1. Yes, I go out to stores and try to grab door busters.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Yes, but I do all my shopping online to avoid the crazy crowds and lines.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. No - I sleep in, eat leftovers, do crossword puzzles. Basically anything but shop!

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

How do you feel about shopping on Black Friday? Do you go out and spend money or would you rather just stay in and let everyone else go crazy?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

I used to go shopping with my mom, but we don't go anymore since she now has to work on Black Friday. We never went to the really early door-buster sales, though. We always headed out around 10am, which worked well because the early birds were heading home or to breakfast, and we still got decent deals on things. :)

This year, no shopping for me. Won't be home, don't have money.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll be at work and it'll look really good on my performance evaluation when the HD 58xx stocks clear up. :cool:

5. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Woops, I wasn't even thinking of the poor souls who work in offices that stay open on Friday!

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah i'll be at work too. not that i have any money to really spend this year on gifts for people at any rate.

8. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I'm not gonna lie, i just clicked on the link :eek:

Black Friday really is an American thing, we don't get it here unfortunately

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

be happy. its a mad house. why anyone puts up with it i can't understand.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Eff no. You couldn't pay me enough to go out to a store on BF.

The deals are crap anyways. Most of the in store prices aren't any cheaper than prices you'll pay online year round, or if they are cheaper than online, not cheap enough to warrant standing in lines for hours and fighting crowds and traffic only to find the store sold out of said item. I've always done my holiday shopping online and will continue to do so.

Just an example, I'm getting my dad a Rebel XS. The cheapest in store prices I've seen for it on BF are still close to $100 more than what you'd pay on Amazon anytime of the year for it.

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I will be working on Friday. No one else in the office does, which means I can arrive a little late, leave a little early, not be bothered, and most importantly, save my vacation hours for a day when I need them. Working on Black Friday can be a glorious thing.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

thats funny.. I did the same after I posted it

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't like the big crowds, so I try to avoid it.

14. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I don't like the commercialization of the holidays. Usually I either make gifts or buy things that are much more personal, and tend not to be included in the blockbuster sales.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There's nothing I hate more than when a holiday falls on a Thursday and I have to go in Friday. To be honest, I'd rather work Thursday. I work 7:30 to 4:30 so I could still be home in time for Thanksgiving with the family (although sometimes I think I'd rather stay at work :D) and have Friday off and the long weekend.

Up until this year, black Friday was a paid holiday off, but they changed it this year so it's no longer a paid holiday, but a regular work day, but they gave everyone an extra personal day for the year. The flexibiliy is nice, but I'm taking that personal day Friday ;) (and Wednesday too. 5 day weekend begins in about an hour!)

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

back in 2005 i woke up as early as 2:45am......to go shopping.....

now and days i leave at 5:00am but the lines are full!:D

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's a sign from the retail gods that you're wasting time that can be better spent sleeping ;)

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't bother, I don't care for people or crowds and I couldn't care less about Thanksgiving or the crazy routines that follow.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, because the retailers' Black Friday becomes my Red Friday.

20. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Isn't Boxing Day similar over there?

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No...because so many people take off the Friday after Thanksgiving (only US has Thanksgiving), retailers seized on having sales to lure shoppers in and mark the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. As so much business was done, it was reported that the increased sales put the retailers "in the black" for the year. Hence, the name Black Friday was born.

As for Boxing Day...educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Online only - no reason to leave the house to wait in line for 2 hours for a gift someone's going to hate anyways :D

23. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

My wife goes out. She's very particular about where she goes though and does her research first. It's not about the "doorbusters" but finding the deep discounts on other stuff like toys and such. Last year she got all of our son's Christmas gifts at ridiculously marked down prices. He's four years old and it's crazy how expensive toys have become. I remember when action figures were like one to two bucks, now their typically seven to ten dollars. It's nuts.

24. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

unfortunatly the retail gods were poking holes in my wallet....:p

25. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I knew what Boxing Day was, and your link pretty much confirms my suspicion that it's like Black Friday:

All I was asking in my question was "Isn't Boxing Day a huge shopping holiday similar to Black Friday in the US?" and apparently it is.