Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I use the default mail.app. If the Lion version is still as simple, easy to use and to my liking as the Snow Leopard one is, I guess I will be sticking to it. Otherwise I'll switch to something like Thunderbird or try out that Sparrow thing everyone seems to love.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't use the OS X Mail client because it dosen't show all my Yahoo mail folders. Weird thing is the iOS mail clients do. :confused:

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I primarily use Mail in Lion, but every couple weeks I will fire up Sparrow and use it for a few days until I miss Mail again.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I've been a fan of Mail ever since I used it, I never really used a Mail client when I was on Windows.. Now I'm used to using one, it saves a lot of time.. Mail 5 is definitely way better then the previous...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't use the OS X Mail client because it dosen't show all my Yahoo mail folders. Weird thing is the iOS mail clients do. :confused:
Yahoo lets iOS devices connect via IMAP, which allows access to folders.
Last I checked, they will only let desktops connect via POP, which doesn't give access to folders.

That's a big reason why some folks love gmail. Google lets everything connect via IMAP (and have access to folders).

With lion including the updated mail client, how many of you guys are (or already are) using the native mail client? I personally use the web version of gmail. figure it'll eat less memory than setting up the macbooks client but to the people that do use the built in one,

what benefits does it give you over the web version?
You must only have one email account that you regularly check.

Try having five or six. The web browser doesn't scale, IMO. :)

blondepianist

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
USA
I use the built-in mail client, because I have several mail accounts from various services. Mail.app has some nice mail-routing rules that I use extensively to sort messages.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I love Mail 5 but just for testing purposes I am using Postbox 2.5 and it is lacking some native OS features such as OSX dictionary support using the Ctrl-command-D I am more than likely will go back to Mail 5 since I have my Exchange Account on it as well. I do love the tabs in Postbox and well as the quick reply function Have any one checked it out?
Yes, the tabs, quick reply, and some of the sorting features in Postbox are very nice. The app icon is well designed, as well :) I guess I'd rather not pay $20 when the native app (Mail 5) works great.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use Mail built into OS X with my Gmail account and a couple of other POP accounts.

It does what I need and am happy with it. I'm not one who uses a bunch of advanced features.

I use Outlook 2007 at the office and still I use it at it's most basic functionality.

I am looking forward to the overhaul in Lion to see if I find any gems I might decide to use, but more for the nicer look.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Have used Mail 100% since Tiger. Works great for me. Used Thunderbird in Panther though.

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
I've used the inbuilt client - Mail since moving to Mac just over two years ago. I was going to install Thunderbird since that is what I used at home on the PC but I thought I'd give the default apps a go rather than dismissing them out of hand.

Yes there are a few niggles but you'd get that in moving from any program you've got used to.

Looking at the new interface (I've not loaded any beta version of Lion so this may be wrong) and assuming it's going to be pretty similar to the version on the iPad then I'd like to see an option of marking emails as spam without them being rendered, Cmd+click or right-click. I've not seen anything about this and if you can't do something similar then it's a big step backwards IMO. I don't get huge amounts of spam but it would be nice to treat it with the disdain it deserves.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I was a hardcore "mail client app" guy (first using Eudora in the 90's, then moving to Thunderbird) for years - I liked having the ability to go back and read mails without a net connection.

That all changed when Katrina hit, and the easiest way for me to have access and keep in touch with others was via webmail, since I didn't always know if I'd be on my computer or on someone else's, or a public machine.

I never planned on staying with webmail (prior to Katrina, I hated the idea of using it at all), but here I am almost 6 years later, still using gmail :)

I may try to reinstall Thunderbird and see if I can import the massive amounts of email from the server, if that's plausible to do...

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I use Mail in Snow Leopard; the thing I don't lack is the overall lack of information, particularly when sending messages; the little mini-pane for message activity is really horrible and feels wedged into the interfaces.

As mentioned earlier there is the activity window as well. I never quite understood why the pane and the window should not be exactly the same, but the pane shows far less detail and misses out most of the loading progress information. I do really like the pane vs the window though, in the same way I'm really looking forward to Lion Safari's downloads interface, cutting down on ugly little windows is all good!

Anyway ... I use Mail on SL and on iOS. It has been really nice since they added Exchange support, and offers full offsite and offline browsing of the whole database where Outlook on Windows always seems to fail. Mail.app is developing its fair share of bloat though.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Been using the in built mail client for about the last 4 years, but recently been trying out Thunderbird as an alternative

I dont like the way mail includes todo's and notes, they seem out of place to me in a mail client, ToDo's should stay in iCal and Notes should be separate app

Unsure what to do when Lion comes out, dont like the idea of an iOS style mail interface

asgr8

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I use sparrow and its very simple and minimalist mail client. Mail in lion Was crashing a lot for me so I am just using sparrow for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.