Do you guys clean... (dvds or cds)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DJAKO, Mar 6, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

your dvds or cds before you rip them? I'm looking for something good that will clean / buff my dvd collection that has a few scratches.

I've tried a few cheap ones from some retail stores and they don't seem to work well.

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I've never had any luck with any of the scratch repair kits/devices that are available. My experience has been that if it is too scratched to be read normally, it is too scratched to be repaired. Cleaning can be accomplished with just a lightly moistened cloth. Only clean the bottom of the disc BTW. You don't want to risk damaging the label side.

3. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya I hear ya, I tried to clean this one DVD for my friend and it made it worse. It doesn't even play anymore...

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I use a cotton T-shirt to clean finger prints and such. It's important that you wipe from the center straight out to the edge. You never wipe in a circular motion around the DVD. It has made unreadable DVDs readable again (by MTR).

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

it's a dirty job but someone has to do it...

Gezz.. I get cd/dvd's sent to me, they're all filthy! What the hell you guys do to them? Normally, I just wash them under the tap with some washing up liquid... using my fingers to rub off stubborn dirt.

6. mindcrash macrumors member

mindcrash

I tip from Netflix is to use Windex, and it seems to have worked well for me thus far.

7. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

My iKlear kit says CDs and DVDs on its list of products that can be cleaned...

8. haball macrumors newbie

In the kitchen sink with dish soap and a clean sponge. Pat dry with a soft paper towel or clean cotton dish towel.

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

The major problem with DVD/CDs in my experience isn't the plastic side getting scratched. It's the foil side where the data resides. If the plastic gets really scratched usually there is some defect on the other side as well. No amount of buffing can fix that. I wipe off fingerprints, food, grime before I rip (darn kids).

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I've had an iKlear bottle and rags for a few years now. Must be getting empty. So I spray a rag and wipe the DVD or CD clean. Only if it looks dirty.

11. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

This was mentioned earlier, but it's worth repeating. The most important thing when cleaning CDs or DVDs is to wipe radially, not in circles. If you scratch a disc radially (from center to the edge), it's likely the player will able to error correct and it probably won't affect playback. If you scratch it in a circle, you could be creating too many errors for the machine to correct (since the data is laid out spirally).

There are some products that claim to be able to fix scratches. These work by actually grinding the playback surface smooth. Theoretically, this should work (since there's a lot of plastic between the surface and the ones/zeros). However, I would only recommend using one of these as a last resort, since it is irreversible.

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yea the foil side is just as delicate as the other. Usually if a CD/DVD gets scratched you can rip and burn another copy and it'll work, but if the foil is damaged there's no fixing it.

13. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

pledge helps, spray some on buff it off ! :) will help to reduce the effect of scratches! use only soft cotton or flannel ....

I did manage to get toothpaste to work once buffing out some bigger scratches ( or at least reducing their affect) so the disk was playable again.

I usually just wash them under tap water with liquid soap and rub gently with my fingers, and pat dry using a soft lint free towel, avoid paper towels because they are actually abrasive and can scratch if your not careful, cotton works very well ...

14. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips. Seems like household products are better than those $40 electronic disk cleaning machines.

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I threw out one of thos $40 machines!

I go to an Auto Parts store and buy a product called ....

" BLUE MAGIC Plastic & Plexiglass Cleaner and Light Scratch Remover "

Originally bought it for use on motorcycle windshields but one day my son came to me with a non-working XBox game. I hit it with that and cleaned it up, and it plays still today.

I won't say it will fix them all, but it does a good job on most. There are some disks damaged beyond repair.

If you use any kind of wipe on/spray on polish try to keep it away from and out of the center hole. Disk are made in layers and if you get it in there you might see some of it migrate between the layers. I know this from experience! :eek: