Do you guys expect a lot from your MacBook Pro's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

I am sure we here all know how notoriously expensive most apple products are. Especially the their line of portable computers.

It is not saying so much that when someone buy a 1000$+ laptop with mediocre specs compared to PC's of the same price, that people expect quality.

By quality I mean reliability and longer lasting.

Do you guys expect your macbook pro's to last a lot longer with little to no problems when compared to PCs?

2. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Yes when I buy an apple product I expect it to last longer than most other products I buy. I also expect if I encounter a problem Apple will help me.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Oh yeah. Apple products sure does last long.
    My 1st PBG4 12in was running without any problems until last year.

Im pretty sure I can go a lot longer with my MacBook Pros.

However, spec wise, I trust my build.
    Apple products last long but as you said mediocre spec.
    When I do extremely heavy tasks, I use my Hackintosh or iMac.

4. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I expect them to last just as long as a computer from any other company. Personally, I feel that people who say Apple computers last longer are wrong. My first ever desktop computer from 2001 is still running strong...well weak since it has as much RAM as the iPad 1 and a 30gb hard drive.....but it is still working. The only computer I have ever had that broke was an HP desktop, but they got me a replacement promptly.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

My first computer, made by Packard Bell, is still chugging along on Windows 95.. with a 4GB HDD and 128 MB RAM :p

Point being, they all last... well most of'em anyways!

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I expect them to be good, although it's always possible you get the bum Friday afternoon one. I don't consider them more expensive than PC's, at least not ones of high build quality and specification. I used to think my rMBP was relatively expensive, but compared with similar PC laptops it's cheap.

7. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Yes, I bought my MBP because I wanted to last all-throughout my college career, ~4-6 years.

PC consumer-grade laptops are complete crap. HP being the worse of them all. You may be able to get an HP with the specs of the MBP for $1000, but the laptop won't last 2 years. People see Apple as overpriced simply because they look purely at specs and nothing else that matter.

When you compare comparable PC machines to apples, they cost the same. When I give people specific examples of this, they discredit it and say even PC OEMs are overpriced. How convenient.:rolleyes:

I've come from cheap $500-$1000 PC laptops, and I constantly would issues. The Keyboard would fall apart after a few months of use, or the screen would get vertical bars and the motherboard would often fail completely.

Plus, ironically, my MBP runs windows 7 better than my desktop PC.

MBP is simply the best computer I've owned...period.

8. DollaTwentyFive, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I expect snarky posts from apple haters. That's worth the money to me.

Ha ha. All kidding aside - my apple hardware has always been superior to the plastic windows junk that I have had in the past. So yes, I expect it to last and retain value.

To me apple products are like BMWs of the late 90s. My M3 had "only" 240hp but it was so much better than a mustang with more horsepower. There is a lot to be said for exemplary design and construction. Nominal specs aren't everything. How something performs in the real world is important.

9. isephmusic macrumors 6502

can someone please post links of comparable PC machines? i was forced to buy an expensive ass macbook pro because i cant find a PC that has a battery of 6 hours like my mbp does. it needs to be light, have a graphics card and somewhat good looking

10. Brettka7, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

Brettka7 macrumors regular

I expect it to last at least 3 years.

That said, it's 2.5 months old and I've already had the display replaced due to a bad hinge, and the right side of the computer has developed a rattle (superdrive? speaker? We'll find out soon.)

Edit: Pried off the keys in that area and found a bent piece of metal that a rod slides into under the return key. The rattle is gone and I have to assume it's my fault, probably pressing return too hard. So just the hinge has gone bad, but unfortunately that would have been over half of the retail price of the computer if I was out of warranty. This notebook better last a while.

11. leman macrumors 604

I expect them to last as long as any other laptop on the market. Apple's products have one of the highest build quality in the industry, but Apple can't change the laws of physics or limitations of current electronics manufacturing processes. They use the same components as everybody else so there is no reason why a Macbook should last longer than, say, a Dell (provided neither of them go cheap on power supply/capacitor quality etc.)

I pay more for Apple products not because they 'last longer' but simply because I am unable to find any comparable offering from another vendor, both in terms of hardware and software. There is no other company making a laptop as powerful and as mobile at the same time as the 15" retina MBP, not to mention its display quality (which is superior to anything you will find anywhere else).

12. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I also mean that apple laptops should have higher quality hardwares. Like better hinges and inner components.

13. 1member1 macrumors 6502

I have a better feeling when I'm buying apple computer instead of some PC junk.
    PCs OEMS are terrible, they give better prices but lower quality and windows is not comparable for home usage against mac osx.

I never had any PC laptop with such a good trackpad like the mac. they make the drivers run so bad and it all lags and not feeling good in my eyes.

I should get my rmbp 13 next week and I cant wait for it :D

14. Mackan macrumors 65816

When you pay so much money, yes. But expecting it to last longer introduces a bit irony here. Meaning lasting physically longer? Because Apple's philosophy is to make your product obsolete as soon as possible, in terms of software support.

So yes, I can expect my MacBook Pro to last 5 years. But I will be stuck with some old OS X, and old apps. Compare that to Microsoft, which easily lets you install Windows 7 or 8 on 5 years old PCs.

That's what annoys me with Apple. They drop support for many old devices quickly based on shady reasons.

With people already running to support Apple when they read this. Yes, Apple might drop support for old devices because they feel these won't be able to give you the best experience of their software. But trust me, that's certainly not the whole picture.

15. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Well, the main comparable examples I have found come from Dell. The XPS 15 does compare well with the Macbook Pro, though it has a few issues, and you still only get a GT 640M.(PC manufacturers seem to deliberately make consumers think that GPU performance is solely based on VRAM) However, their costs are nearly identical.

There's HP's envy series, but from my experience with several friends and family with HPs...even their business line is subpar compared to other OEM's. I wouldn't want to curse ANYONE with an HP.

The XPS one 27 costs just as much as an iMac, with very similar specs. The XPS gives the illusion of getting more for the price with sometimes higher RAM and Storage specs, but notice that even in the high end $2600 model, you STILL only get a GT640m.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Look at the Dell Vostro line. Mine had 4 hours of real-world battery usage when I got it, I couldn't tell you what it's like now as I'm hardly away from a desk, or when I am, I push it very hard.

17. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This, I can agree with to some extent. Definitely felt that way with my iPad 1st gen. They were able to stretch iOS6 to my iphone 3GS....but not my ipad. Apple could have definitely tried harder with optimizing the OS to work better on older hardware. The iPad 1st Gen has become to Apple sort of like how windows Vista is to Microsoft...it doesn't exist.

18. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

19. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I don't expect them to last longer. As others have pointed out, most computers live much longer than they are needed, so it's hard to put life-time in favor of macs.

The argument that a comparable windows PC is much cheaper keeps coming up, but mostly it's wrong. A laptop with specs similar to the current MBPs might be 10%-20% cheaper, but in many cases you still have some trade-offs, i.e. lower quality touchpads, less battery life, clunky charger, lower screen quality, and of course you don't get (native) OSX.

20. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I also expect the performance I paid for, along with a decent and stable operating system.

21. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

You need more definition to your question.

I have a 5 yo Dell laptop that has been taken apart at least 6 times, sat completely disassembled in a bag for over a year, has been stepped on and had it's screen cracked then replaced (both by me, lol), has had the CPU replaced, the memory upgraded, Bluetooth card added, cooling fan replaced, cooling assembly reseated with better thermal paste, and a copper shim added to improve thermal transfer between GPU and cooling assembly. Everything still works. All the circuit boards have oxidized fingerprints on them and still work. It has an SSD in it from another computer and it boots up Windows in about 15 seconds.

Do I expect my Mac to have this kind of durability and flexibility not only for repair but also extending it's usable lifespan? No.

Do I expect my Mac to work flawlessly for the time that I own it? Yes.

Do I expect my Mac to be easily repaired or even work after stepping on it heal first with full body weight while wearing leather soled boots? No.

Do I expect Apple to exchange my Mac without question or fix it within the warranty period when it fails or is not up to their high standards? Yes.

Do I expect them to take a return for minor cosmetic flaws? Yes.

So yes higher but different expectations.

22. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

No. What I expect is better customer support than for PCs, since that's what Apple is renown for. Other than that, you're paying the price of the brand, a shiny finish ( which has to do with personal likes ) and the OS ( one can argue that OSX can be "hackintoshed", but it's really not the same thing - depending on your needs of course ).

23. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

I've sold and fixed PC's for years, cheap or expensive, I've found Mac software and hardware function better. Specifically on the software side as 80% of calls were software related.

24. krravi macrumors 65816

In a home setting, all computers last long and the components inside a Mac are no different than the one in a PC.

Under battle conditions, well that's another story.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I agree with the first part of what you said, but some of this isn't entirely accurate. When you get up toward the higher tiers of Mac pricing such as the 15" models, you can find a lot of high quality display options. I haven't personally found a really great trackpad under Windows. The clunky charger thing isn't entirely accurate. Apple's chargers can't power the machine indefinitely at high loads. It has come up on here and their discussion boards. When you see the cumbersome power bricks, that is what it takes to drive full force on a quad cpu and discrete graphics without eating into the battery. Most of the people affected would be better served by a desktop unless they absolutely have to be mobile, but I just wanted to lend some reason to that point.