Do you guys face problems in cleaning aluminium macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by decentdevil, Jun 18, 2009.

1. decentdevil macrumors newbie

hi guys i am having 13 inches Macbook Aluminium ...I am really facing a problem cleaning it properly its really very difficult to clean this aluminium body... I have tried it too hard but nothing works.....

2. Burning Radio macrumors regular

I find using the Microfiber cloth that came with it and a light spray of eyeglass cleaner works pretty well.

Or you could buy iKlear.

3. decentdevil thread starter macrumors newbie

but i read it somewhere that dont use anythign other then water

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Use iklear. Alu is really hard to keep clean though from your finger prints.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

the cloth that came with it is great. use a dab of spit from your finger on trouble spots and some elbow grease and it will look VERY clean.

i clean mine at least twice a month and i can't tell you how much crap comes off the body and especially the screen!

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

What do you mean? I put water on a lint free cloth and go to town on both the outside and the screen.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah...I find water works just find and I've had my fair share of 'prints on my MacBook Pro. Don't think you need different solutions unless it's REALLY bad.

8. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

9. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

10. redking31591 macrumors 6502

is use water on a dish rag and then dry it right away about once a week, works fine for me.

11. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

12. hodgeheg macrumors regular

I've not had a UMB but I have an Air, which appears to the same material/cleaning issues. I found iKlear wipes fantastic - they're about the only thing I've found that actually visibly removes dirt - you can see it come off on the microfibre cloth. I'm normally a bit skeptical about recommended brands, but in this case I think there's a good reason iKlear is what they use in the Apple stores!

On White iBook and MacBook a soft pencil eraser and great care is my best tip, but I doubt it would work so well on aluminium.

13. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have found that water works, but it leaves streaks sometimes on the screen. I just use a soft cloth and regular window glass cleaner like Windex. This works great and I haven't had a problem with streaking or it messing up the screen. I also use the same glass cleaner on smudges on the aluminum casing and it took care of those quite well.

14. GlenL macrumors member

For the outside, I just have to wipe it occasionally with a clean cotton t-shirt. For the screen, I just breathe on it to fog it up and wipe with a clean cotton t-shirt.

15. Germwise macrumors regular

70% ethanol. I work in a lab and it leaves no streaks at all. also I carry I ipod cleaning cloth on the screen always to wipe the screen. I actually never opened my box with CDs and (hopefully) the macbook cleaning cloth. Been too busy playing with my baby.

also don't get the cloths that come with it wet. It sort of ruins them and gives tough spots that can scratch your lappy later.

and don't use spit. thats just wrong.

16. Love macrumors 68000

Love

17. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Aluminium isn't a reactive metal at all. I don't advise using ammonia-based cleaners, such as glass cleaner, as the ions in such chemicals (or element, in this regard) has been known to compromise deoxidized metals, such as the one made to use your laptop. I use, as a previous poster said, 70% ethanol or 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Don't use the Magic Eraser or even consider it. It is, both physically and chemically, an abrasive that will harm your computer whether is be plastic, aluminium, or the glass/matte screen.

18. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

19. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

baby wipes for the exterior and keyboard/palm rests/trackpad. for the screen, i just use the black cloth that came with it without water.