Do you guys notice performance loss with low power mode on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamborghini392, Nov 3, 2015.

1. lamborghini392 macrumors member

After having a bit of fun to see if I could go 2 days without charging my 6S, I ran it in low power mode from 100% until 1% when I plugged it in (yeah... it didn't make it through 2 days...). The whole time I never noticed any stuttering in apps or lagging in games. The phone overall seemed just as smooth with low power mode on. I mean the fact I extended my usage 3 hours and standby by 19 hours without losing any performance is pretty cool. I might as well just run my phone 24/7 in low power mode.

Just wanna know if you guys notice this or if low power mode is the complete opposite for you. I don't give two toes about geekbench scores or any of that crap, I'm talking about real world performance. Running iOS 9.1 btw.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

no different to me.

I put low power mode on about 10pm at 20% and at 4.30am it's got 1% left.

3. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

Most of your smoothness comes from handling memory swapping in and out programs, apps, web pages, etc in an efficient manner. The new 6s line has flash that is twice as fast as last year's, and it has twice the ram, so you don't have to do as much swapping, so:
    a. twice as fast swapping
    b. twice as much can be swapped into the memory before needing to swap anything out

You can really get away with half the processor speed as before if you get all that, so cutting your clock speed in half won't really effect much unless you're doing intensive work like gaming.

Since clock speed has an exponential effect on battery consumption (transistors take up the most power when they are between high and low states, so keeping them switching faster and faster puts them in the power-hungry in-between state more), you can save quite a bit of power by cutting the clock speed in half.

4. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

With normal use, no I don't see a difference.

With some games and editing, I do see a difference since you are cutting processor speed by roughly 40%, but in general, nah not really different. These phones are so powerful it doesn't matter if you cut the speed.