Do You Guys Really Think A Case Is Necessary? Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by IphoneGuy199, Aug 29, 2008.

1. IphoneGuy199 macrumors newbie

All i did was put one of those clear anti finger print/glare things on the screen of my iphone so the screen does not get greasy and full of fingerprints

do u think the back will get that scratched up?

aren't u getting the new one in a year anyway? haha

might as well enjoy the beautiful white b/c it's not like the iphone 3g is forever...

2. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I wanted to rip the case off my phone after handling my friends new phone without a case. But it's still on. I really don't care about scratches, i'm more afraid the screen shattering from a drop. Considering i'm constantly handling this phone, it's best kept in a case.

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I would be more concerned with the screen breaking than finger prints if i were you. The iphone 3g has poor build quality and I doubt it would survive a waist high drop onto a concrete floor. Ive seen many threads of those who opted for a case after dropping their phones and seeing the damage. Dont be one of them.

4. Cross2 macrumors newbie

Accidents happen. Especially if you let other people handle your phone. I prefer a case because it gives a unique look (if you get a good one). In my company alone, maybe 1/3 of the people I see are walking around with an iPhone. The way I see it, more and more people will have it in the future, would you prefer someone to say 'oh look, another iPhone' or 'wow, thats a nice case for the iPhone'. But then again, it all depends on your taste.

5. slapppy macrumors 65816

I go back and forth on this one also. I love how the phone feels and looks without the case. Even when being super careful, I've dropped my first one at least 3 times within a year. So I know sooner or later I will drop this one also.

Plus when you let someone look at it or use it, they may not be as ANAL as us with devices. The person may play with it and hand it back to you by plopping in on the desk and slide it to you or put it down on a rough surface without nary a thought of causing scratches.

I got the super cool slick incase slider. Very tight fit so it may not scratch up the bezel. So get a case.

6. i0Nic macrumors 65816

No case for me, they're all ugly. I have insurance on my iPhone so if I drop it and it breaks I'll get a new one.

7. mikevdesign macrumors newbie

with the 3g's black plastic back it just gets all finger printy and all greasy looking... i like the form factor but the glossy feel of the back bothers me whenever i touch it... my case solved that issue for me and like someone else said it does add some individuality to a phone that everyone's gonna be using eventually.

8. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

Definitely for me. I've already dropped my phone multiple times.

9. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

Originally I thought cases were a great idea, but now I'm not so sure.

I know that if I had an original iPhone, I definitely wouldn't have a case, but the 3G is a little different I guess.

There is not one case around that looks/feels anywhere near as good as the actual phone. Some aren't bad, but you remember how lackluster they really are when you take the phone out of them.

I do currently have my phone in a case though. It's got some major cracking, and I'm waiting to exchange it. I want to wait until the issue gets sorted out, so I want to keep it in nice shape so there's no risk of me getting blamed for the damage. Once I get a new one, I really don't want to use a case anymore.

What it comes down to is how much of a perfectionist you are. Sure, cases do offer protection from drops, but most don't cover the screen (which is the most delicate part). If you want to keep your phone looking new for as long as possible, or plan on selling it in the future, then a case is a good idea. If you don't mind scratches, then don't worry about it.

A few scratches are nowhere near as ugly as a case. :D

10. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Actually, the Power Support Air Jacket is a very thin rubberized case just for the back that definitely feels better (and more secure/grippy) than the original/slippery/easy-to-get-greasy back without adding significant weight or volume. Apple should have made the back rubberized in the first place! It also makes the back a bit more professional/anonymous looking than having a shiny Apple logo facing out and drawing attention every time you make a call.

11. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

Hmm, that case does look pretty interesting. Is it available in any stores, or only online?

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It's available in US Apple stores, as well as the online Apple store.
    There's a separate thread for that found here. I'm using that
    as of now but thinking of getting a BG but I'm having doubts with
    BG yet.

13. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

I'm a bit utilitarian. The case makes my phone but-ugly, but it protects the phone so I don’t really care.

14. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

hate cases, but I hate scratches much more. btw take a look at incase slider case (black) It feels and looks great...

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I put the wifey's original iPhone in a case the first day and it still looks brand new. I did the same with my 3G back in July, so I probably haven't had it long enough for it to not look brand new. :D

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Most people were able to unload their first gen iphone in good quality at close to the price they initially paid for. Same would probably be true for the 3G, hence protecting your phone is the smart move.

17. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

I agree with everyone else – that beauty should be held and beheld naked. But — after dropping it twice on hard floor (yes, I am a bungler!) I went to the store and bought a sturdy, but clear case immediately. It is called "contour design" and it has decent reviews on iLounge. Their top rated product didn't impress me much, but this was their next favorite.

18. slapppy macrumors 65816

I hate cases too, and sometimes I remove my slider because I love how it feels without a case. Also the way it looks. So sometimes for a day I use it without one, but eventually put it back on. In the back of my head, a little voice keeps telling me, your gonna regret doing this all the time. :rolleyes:

Today just proved I needed a case. Picked up my iPhone from my desk to get up, as I moved my hand it banged into my iMac side, hard. Ouch, but I had my slider on it. :)