Do you guys see this display bug in 10.6.8?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ruahrc, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I have a MBP with external monitor attached. Most of the time I keep the brightness on the MBP set to zero to preserve the backlight.

I noticed some strange behavior that seemed to start with the 10.6.8 update. With the laptop screen brightness at zero, the screen is dark. If sufficient time elapses such that the display would have dimmed in brightness before going to sleep, the screen actually increases in brightness (from zero to the lowest setting). Moving the mouse to "wake" the system again results in the screen brightness returning to zero. Seems like a logic flaw where the "dim display" state seems to be set to the lowest brightness, even if the original brightness of the display was zero. It definitely did not do this in the past (again, pretty sure 10.6.8 was doing it)

Anyone else notice this? It's actually kind of annoying. At first I thought something was really screwy with my system but later figured out the behavior seemed to be related to the display dimming before sleep, as evidenced by the moving the mouse to "wake" the computer, and the display then going back to zero brightness.

How do you report a bug to apple?

Ruahrc

2. jordanwar macrumors member

jordanwar

i have the same bug, done a clean install today and immediately installed 10.6.8 combo update.

came to know that 10.6.8 has this bug

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I noticed this too after the 10.6.8 update, but it only happened a couple of times and seems to have somehow resolved itself now.

4. BCuz macrumors newbie

As I posted on a few other topics, this is as far as I've gotten in resolving this issue:

After having the same screen problems, especially going to bed at night and waking up spooked that my screen randomly turned on, I started messing with the power settings and seem to have isolated the problem.

If you go into your System Preferences under Energy Saver, uncheck the "Automatically Reduce Brightness Before Display Goes to Sleep" option. That immediately fixed the screen from coming back on.

If other folks want to confirm whether that works across the board, that'd be helpful in self-diagnosing this problem without input from Apple.

5. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I haven't seen this bug on my 10.6.8 MBP.

I use the MBP to watch a streaming TV. While watching I set the MBP brightness to zero. It has never adjusted itself back up.

Not sure what to think.

6. socrates key macrumors newbie

socrates key

Experiencing this same bug on my 2010 air; changing the preferences settings seemed to have worked.