Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
As the title suggest, is it safer to fully power down the Air when carrying it in sleeves/bags? I ask because I wonder if it gets heated inside (it can get pretty hot during the summers, and in subway stations, etc.).

Or can the Air while asleep remain cool in a bag in hot weather?

Nov 28, 2010
located
As only the RAM is powered during sleep, it is save to transport the MBA while sleeping, as the temperature of the RAM is not really high.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
As the title suggest, is it safer to fully power down the Air when carrying it in sleeves/bags? I ask because I wonder if it gets heated inside (it can get pretty hot during the summers, and in subway stations, etc.).

Or can the Air while asleep remain cool in a bag in hot weather?

Your MBA, even if on during transport, and even if the weather was extremely severe, would shut down before any damage from heat could be done to it.

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
NYC
Never power it down when transporting it or in general unless i wont be using it for at least a few days

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I never turn my 2010 MBA off. I just close the lid. Nor do I do any kind of battery "management" or worry about whether it's plugged in, etc.

So don't worry about it. I think mine is going on three months without having been shut down. Still resumes and operates like the day I took it out of the box.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I usually shutdown my laptops when I travel with them.

At home I never shutdown or restart unless an update forces me too.

My Mac Pro stays on 24/7, sometimes going months between restarts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.