Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indiochano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I'm thinking of getting an 8 core Mac Pro this year... However, once the nehalem mac pros come out, i'm thinking of selling my mac pro for about 2,400 dollars.

will this sell?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Expect to take a 25-45% loss unless you can sell it to a buyer who isn't clued up. The original Mac Pros tend to go for 35% less than they would have cost new at the moment.

indiochano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
i heard that mac pros (especially new ones) retain their value to a good portion...?

O. Frabjous-Dey

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
It's not a sure deal. You're losing some value just by buying new, and it'll take another hit when the Nehalems come out. Mac Pro buyers are professionals and Mac enthusiasts who stay on top of the news, so it's unlikely that you'll find someone to sucker into paying full price.

Think of whatever money you lose as your rental fee for the three or four months before the update. Is that worth it to you?

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
I'm thinking of getting an 8 core Mac Pro this year... However, once the nehalem mac pros come out, i'm thinking of selling my mac pro for about 2,400 dollars.

will this sell?

If you buy a Mac Pro, it will outperform a lot of computers out there. Unless you are video editing or a trained employee that needs these computers with the latest tech. I would not see why need to upgrade. Hope that helps.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
If you buy a Mac Pro, it will outperform a lot of computers out there. Unless you are video editing or a trained employee that needs these computers with the latest tech. I would not see why need to upgrade. Hope that helps.
I agree here.

If you buy now, with full knowledge it will serve your needs, keep it. OTOH, if you've decided you must have the Nehalem Mac Pro, wait it out.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
i heard that mac pros (especially new ones) retain their value to a good portion...?

The 2008 Mac Pros can go for as high as 85% of retail cost on ebay for standard components or with a few upgrades. Some systems with 16GB of memory and 4 hard drives with a huge array of pirated software that are advertised as being worth $10,000 etc if you bought them from the Apple online store can go up to 100% of retail value (i.e cost of mac pro + 3rd party memory and drives). That is at the moment however, I believe prices will tumble to be around 65% when the new ones come out.

I'd just buy a 2.66GHz used or refurb as you will take much less of a hit reselling.

indiochano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
thanks for the responses guys... yea it seems that i'll be waiting it out till the new nehalems hit the market then... I'm going to continue struggling with my current computer although it sucks for video editing and compositing... but i cannot spare extra money and i would really like to have a top of the line computer by January... *sigh*, i welcome myself to the "waiting for nehalem" club :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.