Do you guys use HDR for pictures?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Oct 22, 2010.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Just curious as I am going on a trip next weekend and wondering if by Default it is best to use it or not to?

Also if I do use it is there anyway to stop it from saving 2 pictures to my camera roll?

2. samh macrumors 6502

I usually use it. You get much better color depth outside (brights won't wash out and shadows won't overtake your image to the same degree). I can usually get a better photo in it in medium light inside as compared to using the flash. More natural. It won't do great in high-motion settings.

As to the two images in the camera roll: Settings => Photos => Under the HDR section, "Keep Normal Photo" OFF

3. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I would keep it off, it's not great if there's movement in the picture as it will result in ghosting. If you want to use it on an over/under exposed scene just tap it.

As for only saving 1 picture, if you goto Settings > Photos you can toggle "Keep Normal Photo" off to only keep the HDR picture instead of both the HDR and normally exposed picture.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

so if theres some motion going on its best not to use it, but if a scene is outside brightly lit and standstill its better to use?

makes some sense

5. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Pretty much because when you use HDR it quickly takes an over exposed, an under exposed and a normally exposed picture then combines them to get the best result. If there's motion, then the objects or people in motion will be in different positions in each picture so when they're combined it creates a ghosting effect.

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Just make sure what ever you are shooting with the HDR is standing still. It gives a ghosting effect on moving objects. And it doesn't have to be perfectly still, but no major movements.

Here's an example I had in great sunlight, mid day with no clouds. Had HDR on to compensate for the harsh lighting and shadows. Apparently he was moving just enough or I jiggled the phone to do this to his left (Photo left) arm. I've seen it worse with photo's I took of cars passing on the freeway.

[​IMG]
    **EDIT** cropped original pic to focus on ghosting effect

7. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

All day err day. Is there anyway with an update that you can use the HDR and take pictures faster?

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Nope, it's already doing it pretty quick IMO. You gotta remember it's taking 3 different pictures then processing and working through algorithms (and all that other technical photography crap) to correctly combine them to get the best exposure.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I leave mine on and delete the duplicate I don't like. I sometimes don't like the HDR result but I don't know until I see them side by side.

10. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

It depends on what type of enviroment you're taking the picture, at least for me. In certain situations it works well for me.

11. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I always use HDR, I notice that it works particularly well if there are people in the shot. It makes they're skin tone more natural. I leave the original on

12. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

On almost every picture. Either Apple's HDR, HDR Pro, or i upload them to my Mac and use HDRtist.

13. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

This. :D

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same. Apple's HDR just works so well. Most of the time the HDR version looks better.

15. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I turn it off and on depending on the lighting conditions.

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

HDR is not for every photograph, nor even most photos. As has been noted if anything moves in the photo you will get ghosting. This includes leaves on trees and bushes, cars, people, animals etc. It is designed to work best in high contrast situations.

I normally leave it off until I have an occasion or reason to use it, and then I normally use HDR Pro. It is a lot slower, but 99% of the time does a better job. Additionally with HDR Pro you get some sliders right in the app to make some corrections before you save it.

17. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

18. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've had it on since 4.1 came out, but recently I've had a lot of bad photos with it, so I'm going to turn it off.

20. WiseDuck macrumors member

WiseDuck

I always use HDR. You really have nothing to lose since it saves the original image as well. And it really works well, here's a nice example.

HDR off.
    [​IMG]

HDR on.
    [​IMG]

21. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

I use HDR a lot but my buddy told me about the app "Pro HDR" and it kills the stock app. It was like 2 bucks but well worth it to me.

22. reviewmonsters macrumors newbie

reviewmonsters

I use it all the time, i really like it. Its no hassle as it saves both pictures which can then be compared to see how well it worked!

23. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Yeah I use Pro HDR as well, it totally kills Apple's stock HDR. I usually use HDR to take pics of nice landscape.

24. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

My wife has the iPhone 4 and I noticed when using hdr inside with people it tends to make the people looks like lobsters. I mean a lot of red in the skin tones. Will try and post a picture later

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Don't use HDR all the time. It's not meant for a lot of conditions and only really shines in a few.

You wouldn't just leave the flash on regardless of conditions. Or keep any other setting on that has to do with exposure for EVERY photograph. HDR is no different.