Do you guys use your MBP's on your lap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, Nov 20, 2008.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Just wondering if a lot of people out there do this. I am a tiny person (5'0" tall) and my 15" looks ginormous on my lap. If you do, do you use it on your lap alot? I sometimes feel like the size just confines the mbp to the top of a desk, when sometimes I would just like to sit on the couch and surf.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yeah, I use mine on my lap a lot. The unibody ones do it better than the old ones, since they have the heatpipe on top of the board, instead of underneath where it can torch your lap.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Half the time. The only thing that concerns me is heat :D

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Sometimes - I feel better about it though if I put a box fan on my lap and turn it on high, and then set my MBP on that.

No really though, when I'm not at my desk, I use it on my lap. And even better - if I'm doing anything processor intensive, I unlock this hidden app called iSkillet. It allows my $2500 computer to double as a cooking platter.

5. joystik macrumors member

i did for the first time today, and i really do not wanna do it again. My theighs were cooked. :/

6. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Yeah, and mine doesn't really run too hot, thank goodness.

7. Nate025 macrumors regular

Yes. Usually when laying in bed on my lap watching tv. Rot brain, rot! :D

8. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I use mine mostly on my lap, unless I'm at school.

9. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I use my 17" MBP on my lap a lot but it gets uncomfortable when the MBP runs hot. So i bought a small cooling pad which works perfectly. If I'm on the go and I don't have my cooling pad, I spread my legs so my laptop isn't sitting flat on my lap blocking the air vents.

10. tekmoe macrumors 68000

My previous MacBook Pro's were not very fun to use on my lap. My new MacBook Pro Late 2008 is awesome. I don't even notice the heat when using it on my lap. Such a great notebook.

11. jamestemroot macrumors member

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I use mine on my lap all the time, either sitting or in bed watching TV. I had the original Core Duo MacBook Pro and it got seeeeeriously hot, but it's a lot easier to use the new MacBook Pro since it barely gets warm :)

13. Canuckistan macrumors member

This works very well for me ... laprest

Have you ever seen those lap trays that some people (mostly seniors) use to place their dinner plate on... Hard, flat surface, with a bag of thousands of small styrofoam pellets on the underside. The pellets mould to conform to the shape of the lap.

Well that's what I place my MB on (soon to be MBP). Works just great as I sit or slightly recline in my recliner. I can't sit on a chair at a desk... too bloody hard on the back.

Caveat... Be sure to cover the hard flat top surface with the rubberized webbing sometimes used to protect shelves or placed under a floormat to prevent slipping... Works great!!

Never felt the heat. Never slippage.

14. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Most of the time when I am not working behind a desk, I am sitting up or leaning on one side on the sofa or bed with the MBP on a coffee table. Sometimes its on my lap, mostly at night until it feels like I could nod off: I dread the idea of waking up to the sound of my MPB hitting the ground...

15. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Hmm, next time I see a nice dinner tray at the store, I think I'll try your idea "Canuckistan" (clever handle!), thanks!

16. PostTribber macrumors member

'do you take this laptop to be...'

newly weds don't. not til the first born, anyway. :rolleyes:

17. Red-red macrumors 6502

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very, very rarely on my lap. It's not an especially comfortable position for me. Generally, I work at a proper desk or table with a computer.

Cheers

19. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

20. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

21. n8236 macrumors 65816

Seriously, most laptops aren't even suitable to be used on your lap. The viewing angle is not only bad for your neck (in the short-term), but it could potentially alter your posture if used on your lap too often.

But, to answer your question, no. I have a table of some sort 95% of the time. The other 5% is maybe in my bed.

22. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

And can cause infertility (lowered sperm count)

23. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yep i use it on my lap and also sit it on the desk.

24. tom.leman macrumors newbie

I'm 6' 2" and I use my new MBP on my lap all the time, and it gets seriously, seriously hot. It's comfortable enough, and nice to type on, but I'm not a massive fan of the sharp edges, which seriously dig into my wrists. Still, this is my first Mac, and I'm already a massive fan.

25. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Are you really using your computer right on top of your crotch?? Uh...