Do you guys use your older computers ever?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by chrf097, Dec 16, 2011.

1. chrf097, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I often play with my PowerBook G3, mainly because I have several classic apps I like to mess around with and it's such a cool computer. My iMac G3 I don't use as often and I have my Cube more as an art piece. What about you guys?

2. Apple2 macrumors member

Apple2

I still play dig-dug on my //e sometimes, but anything after like 1999 I pretty much just leave on the shelf if it's not my main device.

3. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

I play RPGs and adventure games on my II+ all the time, partly for fun, partly because computers suffer more from disuse than from use. My old Apples will not be allowed to meaninglessly decay and gather dust; they will be used.

4. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

When I go to my parents home I sometimes use the G4, mainly to update stuff, do some backups of my stuff.
    Now that I bought a cpu upgrade to it I think I'll use it more..

5. Jiten, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I actually use my still working 180 powerbook to do some distraction free word processing. I have a lot of my company memos written in ClarisWorks. I'm considering spending money for a compact flash adaptor to replace the aging SCSI HD. Haha

6. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

I continue to use my 667 mhz Power PC PowerBook everyday at work. It's a delight everyday to see this nearly decade-old computer keeping up with the otherwise PC only environment. Go, Mac, go!

7. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I don't have a Mac collection per say, however my MacBook Pro was at Apple for repair for about the last week and half. For the time being, I pulled my old Indigo iMac G3 out of storage and used it as my main computer. For being 10 years old it still works quite nicely as long as you have some patience. I have the 400MHz model that I upgraded to 512MB of RAM and Tiger. It wasn't too bad for using word, using the newest Safari for general web browsing (as long as you stay far away from youtube) and listening to iTunes radio streaming. I could've lived with it for another week, although I must say it's nice to be back to the speed of my MacBook Pro.

9. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Aside from the occasional fire up, the oldest computer I use regularly is the G4 Cube. I'll still kick on some older G3's and the 8600 sometimes, but not often.

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I play vintage games on my old systems, and use my Apple IIc (and my original Macintosh) as a serial terminal for my UNIX server.

11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Back in high school, I would type essays on my MacClassic, and print 'em with the same vintage StyleWriter, just because I could. Something about composing word documents on a 16 year old computer was alluring. :)

12. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

In a word: Yes.

In detail: Yep. I use every single Mac I own. All whatever-it-is-now. Be it my 8100/100 for using prehistoric games, to my 8600/250 for writing articles and assignments or my G4s for Video Rendering, I use every Mac in my collection for something or other.

13. Interceptor2 macrumors newbie

I have a few applications where only a 68k Mac will do, also there is some impressive software available for Macs OS7-9, most is worth checking out.

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

:-(

Back in high school, the Mac Classic was brand new, and there were no 16 year old "personal computers".

15. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Nope. My iMac G3 sits in my closet on the floor. I am a laptop guy.

16. tyche macrumors 6502

With the excellent emulators I use (vMac, Virtual ][, Sweet16, Amiga Forever, C64 Forever) they are just too convenient. All my classic hardware is safely stowed away.

17. firewood macrumors 604

Booted up my Beige G3 a few weeks back to see if I could still read some data off of some old 800k floppies. Had to hit the power button a half dozen times before I got the startup bing.

18. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

19. careyjesus macrumors newbie

No.right now i am not using ...sometimes i used it but once in a while

20. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

We have a TiBook 400 that has been upgraded to Tiger in the kitchen. I use it every morning to check on-line news and stock reports. Some of the older music CDs that I have won't load on my MacBook Pro, but I can use the TiBook to load them into iTunes and transfer them with a flash drive.

Dale

21. Dreyrugr macrumors newbie

I use my Powerbook 170 fairly often. I have a couple of Hypercard stacks that would be awkward to replace which won't run on the new stuff. Also, I have never seen another screen that could be read as easily in direct sunlight. For tasks that require more horsepower I have a 550 mhz G4 Powerbook. The only problem I have is that I haven't found a source for useable batteries. The last couple I've purchased apparently had sat on a shelf for far too long. They didn't last more than a couple months.

22. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Main battery or the internal one that powers the pram? I replaced my TiBook g4/400 main battery with the one in the link below. Works great.

Other World Computing

Dale

23. 50voltphantom, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

I still use my iMac G3 as a jukebox and web surfing machine in my "man cave". I can't bear to let go of it ever since I rescued it from certain doom and upgraded the OS, RAM, and HD.

24. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

My G3 Power Mac sits in the corner gathering dust. :(

Its Safari is too excruciatingly slow to surf the web on, its iTunes is too old to do iCloud, and in general the box is too noisy/hot/inefficient to leave on all the time. Plus, I'm pretty sure the graphics card is going out.

I fire it up every now and then just to say hello.

25. 808? macrumors 6502a

Yes, daily.

My old PPC Mini slaves away as a file server.