Do you hate Growl?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Badrottie, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I use Trillian Astra on my Windows desktop and I love it but now with MBP I downloaded Trillian only to find it does not have popup new message so it has to use Growl I understand many people really hate Growl very much and I heard Growl is no longer free anymore..the programmer need hard cash to support himself....

My question is do you really hate Growl?

2. weckart macrumors 68040

Growl is still free if you are prepared to download the source code and compile it yourself.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many people love growl, not hate it. The app is a handy little utility that extends the usefulness of OSX's notification. The cost is tiny compared to the work and effort that was put in to creating maintaining and even extending it.

As the other poster mentioned if you want to compile the source code you can, otherwise its only a few bucks

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I don't work for free, do you?

Why would you expect anyone else to?

You actually hate a small software app?

Some attitudes never cease to amaze me.

5. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I like it. What's to hate?
    (that's not an invitation...)

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Serves its purpose and does it well
    Some people don't need it and it isn't required
    Others use it and find it effective

I am not emotionally involved with it in a love/hate relationship
    But I do use it

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What I found is that apps that use it, enhance the notification, like dropbox. By itself its an ok app, but it really shines when used in conjunction with other apps

9. kingtj macrumors 68020

No reason to hate it, but ...

I can understand people having a small annoyance with Growl. I have to admit I'm in that camp. It's not that I don't appreciate the work that went into it.... but I simply find it to be something that should be part of OS X itself, vs. a separate app. All it does is allow other software to generate different styles and configurations of on-screen notifications.

When the app was completely free (no compiling necessary), at least people felt like they had nothing to lose installing/using it -- so it really caught on. But as soon as the developers started asking for money for it, it woke a lot of people up to the fact that really, Apple should have just bought or licensed the whole thing and built it into OS X. It would have gone well with Lion's release, actually. (Just tell everyone else to install an older version for the same functionality.)

10. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I agree with Maflynn, it works well with Dropbox and some other apps for enhanced notification. I like it myself and use it, but it isn't of great benefit to everyone. It is only $1.99 in the App store, and I have certainly spent money on worse things than Growl there. But either way, whether you like it or not, or use it or not, I don't see much to really hate about it.

11. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

used to think it was a great app prior to using Lion/MAS version of app

now notifications seem to be broken for some apps, to me the MAS version seems to be a step backwards

also preferred it when it was a system preference instead of how it runs now

12. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

if they don't work for free then why OPEN SOURCE??? People work hard to make OPEN SOURCE program for free.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't have it, and don't have any use for it.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have it and think its alright. I'd like to see it integrate with Mail.app, but I read they split that off to the original developer once they put Growl in the MAS. But integration with Thunderbird would be just as nice.

Right now all it's doing for me is Adium and Twitter.

15. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I have used Growl for a long time, and always loved it. I can't see paying for it though. It doesn't do anything for me that's worth money, it's just a fun toy. I switched to Herald for Mail notifications since GrowlMail was giving me trouble, and it's definitely better than Growl for that.

jW

16. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Open Source does not automatically imply free. In Growl's case, it's not unreasonable to charge for a compiled version.

My gripe with Growl is Hardware Growler crashes a lot; especially if I shut the cover on my Mac and then reopen it later to continue working.

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I use Growl for some work applications. Otherwise, I hate it. I try to keep my running processes to an absolute minimum, and given Growl serves no useful purpose 80-90% of the time for me, I only use it on my work machine to notify me of file updates and stuff. In that case, it does what it's supposed to quite well. :)

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It's a useful app to have. I just wish more apps took advantage of it.