Do you have 3G enabled all the time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ribbon, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ribbon macrumors member

Aside from the fact that 3G consumes more power, i'm just curious to know which one (3G or GSM) is more harmful to health. I've googled a lot but couldn't find anything.

do you guys use 3G all the time, or just enable it when browsing?

cheers.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I do unless the 3G net goes down then I flick to edge for a bit.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

3G on all the time. Unless I was gonna be away from a charger from a while.

5. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Just thinking, we pay for data correct? I have unlimited data plan. Since we pay for data why not get your money's worth?

Marc

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Neither. There is still no conclusive evidence that cell phone emissions are harmful to your health, be it GSM or 3G.

And in any case, both GSM and 3G operate on the same frequencies in the US over AT&T's network anyway. This may be different in other countries, but apparently turning off 3G only eliminates your exposure to the iPhone transmitting in the 2100MHz band in the areas that support 3G in that frequency band.

If you are that convinced about health issues, and that concerned, then you probably shouldn't be using any cell phones, at all. Though, that STILL won't eliminate whatever exposure you get from cell towers that transmit regardless of whether you personally have a cell phone or not. Then there's WiFi, and Bluetooth, and cordless phones....

For me 3G and WiFi are on all the time. With push email and notifications, my iPhone is using data all the time, not just when I'm using the web browser.

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I now keep WiFi and EDGE enabled 24/7, as I have found that my battery life is better using these settings.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

If you were to work off the assumption that the signals are harmful (personally I don't think they are in normal usage), then a 2100MHz signal wouldn't penetrate into the body as much as a 2G (1800 or 900MHz in Europe) signal would.

As you say, the US uses the same frequencies for 2G and 3G now.

10. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

3G and Wifi on at all times - I'm constantly getting e-mail (my phone's checking five accounts), and I prefer the snappiness of 3G. Still on my grandfathered unlimited plan.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

12. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

3G, WiFi and Location Services on all the time. :)

13. daleksec macrumors newbie

+1

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I have 3G on pretty much all the time unless I'm somewhere that has really crappy coverage, then I turn it off to save battery.

If I'm in a place with WiFi I'd rather use that since it's (usually) faster and it doesn't drain the battery nearly as much.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

16. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

ha, based on the physics behind radio waves, the higher frequencies are far more dangerous than the lower frequencies. The lower signals don't excite, ie "microwave oven" your cells like the higher frequencies do. The biggest concern with the higher frequencies is the chance of eye damage (though not at the milliwatt ranges exerted by the standard cell phone)