Do You have a Classic Car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rapmastac1, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I know many of us luster after certain cars, some like to luster after the newest models with all the high tech gadgetry and some with very minimal techie crap but are still wonderous. And then those other people who like to enjoy the classic beauty of older cars, I'm talking cars from 1900 to 1980, most of them probably between 1950 and 1970...

What kind of classic cars do you have folks? Pics, descriptions, stories about how you got them/they got you.

And for those who don't have that classic they want, or don't have one at all, what is your dream classic car?

2. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'll start of with mine.

When this past summer just began (Summer of '07) I had been looking for a cool car. I was about to get a 1996 Caprice Classic, and make it look like an Impala SS, those are pimp cars, but I just didn't really feel the car.

So after a few weeks of searching, I found my beauty...

[​IMG]

It's a 1967 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It is now legally considered a Classic car (40 yrs old). And what a classic it is. I just love how the front leans outwards to form a sort of, running, look, or moving while standing still look.

[​IMG]

It's nice, the interior is in mint condition, well, for it's age. It has a black interior and the most beautiful shade of red. It has been repainted once, and from afar it looks great, but you can see they failed to sand the old paint away before putting the new one on, so the paint isn't exactly smooth.

[​IMG]

It had been through two previous owners, both of them mechanics. The first owner really screwed up the wiring in the engine bay, and thus the car has charging problems, despite the new battery and alternator... It runs well, but I am putting a new engine in it anyway.

[​IMG]

It's a bit of a problem right now as I can't really do any work on it, as now I'm working two jobs and going to school. I have a really tight schedule, I'm just saving and saving money for college and for fixing this beauty up. I plan to get her done by the Summer of '09. But I plan to get her up and running by the middle of the summer of '08.

[​IMG]

My true dream car is the 1969 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. That car is sweet, and I just love the fins. I'm thinking about making some fins for this car, I have seen it done before. But I don't know if I want to mess the style of this car up. I love the look of the long and lean style, especially when it will look like this, or I plan/wish to have it look like so...

[​IMG]

Thanks for listening to my story... comment on that beauty!

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Wow thats a pretty amazing car. I would never ever ever want to try driving that in a snow storm. Looks like quite a land yacht.

I don't have any classic cars, my dad used to have an MG MGB and a Series IIa Land Rover. There is this guy near me with a gorgeous original corvette in black. I see him driving around in it ever so often. There is also this little like 90 year old women that lives around the corner from me that has an original mustang that is just beautiful (I hate fords but the original mustangs are awesome).

I found some like 1950's or 1960's Pontiac while taking my dog on a hike through the woods. I should get a picture of it. Its amazing to think how much cars have changed. Its hood was bent, someone had spray painted "A/FX" on the doors but I think it was wearing off. All the windows and lights were smashed out. It was kinda sad, imagining that this car could have been a family's new car and being all they were excited about it 40 years ago. Now its rotting away, unknown to the world.

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Rapmastac1, thats one cool car! The last picture looks so cool im using that as my wallpaper :D Hope you dont mind!

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

My dad has a Mercedes 350SL I think it is. White convertible from 1972-ish (I forget the exact year).

His ideal classic car would be a Mercedes Gullwing 300SL though, from 1955 :p

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would like to have a 1968 Dodge Charger.....like the one in the movie Blade. but for one in good condition, i think they go for $75,000 :eek:

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Give me a Citroen SM any day over an American muscle car.

9. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Thumbs up at the Gullwing, I like those cars! And no, I don't mind if you use it as a wallpaper, in fact, here is a higher quality one for ya...

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cadillacdroptopqm4.jpg

I love GTOs, the front fascia looks a bit like this car, with the vertical headlights and all. I remember this car from a show at our local them park (Lagoon). It was a pink Cadillac hearse and it was this body style, man I just melted at the sight of that beauty! And now I have my own road-going version, and I'm happy!

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Thanks!

Enjoy you ultra-cool car!

11. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

When I was 18 I owned a 1968 Firebird Formula 400, Bored .60 over 750 cfm holly carb & a 3/4 cam. It pulled 435 hp at the rear.
    Sold it after a series of tickets.
    I own this now, Although not a classic, per say, it has the muscle car vibe I would say, 380 Hp, 5 speed, Cerveni's kit. Keeps me happy, & I won't have to restore it for at least 10-15 years.

Attached Files:

12. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Dad used to have a MGB, That was cool. He also has had a few 205 GTIs, which can spank most modern hot hatches.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm after a Triumph Spitfire myself. Apparently it's very "me".

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

My mates dad has a Messerschmitt and it is so amazingly cool, but someone smashed the glass and it is silly expensive to replace. It is now in storage. Not his:

[​IMG]

One day if i get a high paid job i'm going to buy it and fix the glass.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My dad has a '64 thunderbird, that I'll try to get pictures of to post soon. I am currently working on restoring a '64 falcon.

16. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I used to own a 1976 BMW 1502. It was a lovely car, but it needed more work than I had time for while I was away at uni. I plan on buying another one next year, and probably switching a newer engine into it.

[​IMG]

17. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Isn't the Messerschmitt what Erkle drives in that one show? I swear it is, and the car opens from the back or something like that right? That is a wack looking car and definatly would have a following of its own unique kind...

I like the look of that new Mustang, I would prefer a 1969 Mustang 2+2 Fastback myself, those look sweet (but I'm not a Ford guy at all!!!).

Doesn't anyone here have MY dream car? A 1969 Cadillac Eldorado? I just love those flipping huge fins and that awesome body style! I just miss the elegance that cars once were...

When a big car was the IN thing. Like the 1970's Lincoln Continental. 19.5 Feet long, 3 tons, four doors, and a big American 7.5 Liter V8 Engine. All steel body, you would never get hurt in that, the only thing your worried about is killing the other driver :eek:!

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'd love to own an old BMW like that they look so gorgeous.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Urkle drove a BMW Isetta. It had the door on the front.

I saw a Messerschmitt on Block Island one day. I was in awe.

Back in high school, a friend of mine managed to buy an all-original Shelby GT500, with under 3k original miles on it for a few thousand. He then proceeded to trade it to someone for a Plymouth Duster (The original, not the ****** FWD one). I still rag on him for it, but at least it's fast. He sent me a video of it running 9.254@148MPH, and he said it was detuned for a crappy track. I suppose it's worth it, but I'd rather have a Shelby. :D