Do you have a data partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tex-Twil, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I should recieve my MBP tomorrow and my OSX life will then start. While waiting for this day, I've been reading those forums and learning OSX even before I had a Apple notebook. There is still one question I'd like to ask.

In the PC world (windows/linux) I'm used to have a partition which contains only my data such as mp3, photos, movies, ISOs, downlaods ...

Do you, OSX users, also have a mounted data partition to store your data there ? If yes, which software do you use to manage your partitions ?

If no, what is the OSX way to keeping the data between OS reinstallation ? Ok I know that the reinstallation frequency of Leopard is lower than the one of XP, yet it can happen one day.

Thanks in advance and see tomorrow with my MBP ;)

regards,
    Tex

2. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    You could have a separate data partition if you really want to, but on a mac there really is no need. Apple provides built in tools for disk management located in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Typically your user's home directory would have most of your data: music, movies, photos, documents, preferences, mail, library... etc.

I backup my home directory to ensure it safety, and the Migration Assistant with every new Mac you buy allows you to bring everything over to from an old system.

You can do that as well (I believe) if you clone your HD and then wipe/reinstall everything on your system (if you have to for some reason).

4. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

So how do you keep your data between two installations ?

Is it possible to have the /home mounted on a separate partition as on Linux ?

What I want to avoid is the backup of data on an external support (DVD, ext HD)

Anyway, mounting the home is not a solution I want cos usually the home directory has a lot of hidden files that one wants to get rid of while reinstalling the system :)

I think I will simply create separate partition and use it for datas.

Thanks,
    Tex

5. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Bad call. If your hard disc dies you're left with nothing.

6. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yes I know, The really important data (photos, personnal docs) I do backup them on a backup server.

I'm talking about data that are huge but not sooo important. For example, I have all my program/games CDs in a iso form so that I dont have to look for and insert the original cd into the notebook. I can mount them directly from the hard disk.

If I reinstall, I dont want to make an external backup of this since it is a huge amount of data. Just leaving it on a partition is the best solution.

thanks,
    tex

7. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

One of the install options is 'Archive & Install'. This saves your data to folder on the fresh install.

8. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Thanks, it looks that's what I've been looking for
    see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

Tex

9. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

This is possible, I have my home directory located on a separate hard drive from the OS.

In Leopard you copy your existing home directory to the new location and repoint by right clicking on your username in the Accounts section of System Preferences and choose Advanced Options. You can choose the location of your home directory there.

With Archive and Install moving your home directory makes more sense on a machine with multiple hard drives.

Attached Files:

10. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

If you use Time Machine you will only have to backup these huge files once, then they will only be updated only as required. I have lots of movies in my home folder, the first backup lasted overnight but now it is done they don't backup again.

With Time Machine (with or without a Time Capsule) migration/reinstalling OSX is easy and complete.