Do you have a dedicated device for iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Voodoofreak, Jul 28, 2013.

?

Do you have a dedicated iOS7 device

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

Not sure where this post would be more appropriate...but I was just wondering if you guys generally have a dedicated device for iOS 7...or do you load it on to your main iPhone/iPad/iPod?

I'm starting to get into iOS development and was wondering if I should invest in a separate device down the road or stick to the just testing out on my main iPhone. Appreciate any insight. :)

2. Jakimo macrumors 6502

My only iPhone is my dedicated iOS 7 device, it's fine and getting better..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

IMHO use a separate device if you can since you will be testing out your apps presumably.

4. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I used to have a dedicated device in the past but it didn't really work that well. You don't really get very good testing on dedicated devices. Outside of having to pay another phone contract just to test apps, you don't have it with you all the time so certain use cases just get skipped.

Dedicated devices might be fine for certain apps but if you use networking I think it's a mistake to not use it on a daily driver.

There are a lot of people on here getting on peoples cases for putting a beta on their everyday phone... well those people must not know a whole lot about the process because there are bugs that you would just never find (or are very unlikely to find) unless it is a device you use all the time.

5. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

Runnin' iOS 7 on my iPhone 5. Yeah, my ONLY iPhone....:D

6. vahalla macrumors member

7. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Well, if you use your only device, you will be able to test your apps on a future, unreleased OS but not actually on the OS your customers are currently running you app on. Seems to me that would be an issue.

8. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Unless you app is seriously broken on the current iOS it doesn't really matter all that much. Besides it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. For a small developer would you rather have an app that is updated on release day but goes a little while without updates in the interim, or get updates all along (assuming the app even needs them) and then wait a few months after iOS 7 is released to get the compatibility update? One man bands can't be all things to all people so you have to make a choice. I would rather have day 1 support.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

10. falconeight Guest

falconeight

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

One of the things I dislike about a separate device is that it's a "fake" environment. Nobody is using the device as their real phone - you're not testing it properly.

12. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Using Nexus 4 as my main phone and installed iOS 7 on iPhone 4s. Using iPad Mini wifi only as iPad testing device.

So far, iOS 7 runs perfectly on iPhone 4S. iPad just lag...

13. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

I use it on my only device and besides the expected beta problems it hasnt been bad at all.

14. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I use it on my iPad 3. iOS 7 ran much faster on my iPhone 5, but I needed a stable OS on my phone. Hopefully beta 4 will fix the performance issues with the iPad 3, but even if it doesn't, it's still a beta so I won't complain!

15. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I used to test new versions on my 4th Gen iPod touch, but now that it is no longer supported I've been loading up iOS 7 on my primary iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

16. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I posted a reply stating that your points were valid and that I agreed since you successfully changed my viewpoint on this subject, but apparently it was too brief and added no value to the conversation. Thus it was removed by the mods and I was politely reminded via PM to not waste space on the forum. Yes, I am aware there is a +1 button, however it does not have the same impact as the OP actually responding to someone who has successfully changed their perspective.

But it does explain why this place feels overwhelming riddled with anger and argument and nearly void of polite and intelligent discourse.

Glad to see everybody has got their priorities straight.

17. Voodoofreak thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wow!! I didn't realize I got this many replies. :D

Thank you for the insight everyone. Thank you robbieduncan for adding a poll. That really helped.

I'm going to stick to my own device for now and just use that as a testing mule. It will most likely take me a good 4-6 months to get a hang of things completely in iOS so perhaps I can make a better decision then or possibly just end up solidifying the choice of sticking to the main device. :)

18. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

I run iOS 7 from my primary iPhone 5 and loving it

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's pretty simple....

If you're goofing around and can afford to have a non-working device, by all means use your primary device. If you are seriously getting into app development, get a dedicated device.

20. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I use a secondary device as my iOS 7 API tester.

21. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

I use my wife's phone as the guinea pig because she doesnt care about technology :p

22. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I only have one iPhone and it's currently on 6.1.2 (still jailbreakable), so I'm in the classic dilemma of, do I test out iOS 7 beta and end up having to restore to iOS 6.1.3?(thus losing my jailbreak). Or do I stick with iOS 6.1.2 for as long as possible and then upgrade to iOS 7 when it actually comes out? Of course then Apple will stop signing iOS 6 so even if I don't like iOS 7, I'm stuck with it. :mad:

I really wish I had a separate device to test iOS 7.

23. jjusmo macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. JB'd on 6.0.1 on my iPhone4. I really like how iOS7 looks but I fear it will lag too much.. And if it does, I will lose my JB and I can't stand stock iOS6..

Gotta convince my bro to put it on his iPhone4 and see how it works I guess lol

24. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

Dedicated my iPhone 4s to iOS 7, iPhone 5 still on 6.1.4

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Heh. I loaded the beta on an iPhone 4S I'm no longer using, but then I wanted to see it on an iPhone 5, so I loaded it onto my partner's iPhone 5. It's his everyday device, and he's been using it fine without major problems. My own iPhone 5 is jailbroken, and staying on iOS 6 until there is a jailbreak for iOS 7. :D