Do You have a Dog?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Sep 3, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

If so I have some questions.

1) What Kind?
    2) Is it crate trained? If so how long did it take to crate train/housebreak it?
    3) Once house broken, do you still have accidents happen?
    4) How long is the dog left alone during the day (in crate or otherwise)?
    5 How much per month do you spend on pet food?
    6) How much per year do you spen on vet bills?

I am thinking of gettng and 8 week old blue weimaraner female in mid sept, Ill be taking two weeks off work to bond and do some training with the puppy, than its back to work from 8-5. Ill be able to get someone in once a day to let the dog out, but thats it, and I figure I can probably do doggy daycare once r twice a week also to help with socializing.

Since I live alone in a rather isolated area, it would be nice to have a pet, but at the same time Im a little apprehensive.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1) Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
    2) Crate trained 2 nights, house training on going. If you can ask the breeder to take them onto grass when they have care of them because dogs associate the feel of the ground with the toilet. So if they are used to going on grass when they walk on it they think "oh this is the toilet". Guide dogs in the UK are trained to go on concrete/pavements.
    3) With us he is almost there but it still happens from time to time but I make sure to take him out about once every 1-2 hours. He may go a tiny bit if I am in the kitchen with him but if you notice he will stop and then you can open the backdoor and he will go outside.Our previous dog once trained never had any accidents in the house.
    4) At most about 4 hours however this is at most about once a week. As situations change etc this will also likely change. Our previous dog was left for about 6 hours with no problems.
    5) We spend about £30 a month on food.
    6) We have pet insurance which will take care of anything major but in the first year it can be quite expensive with all the jabs, electronic tags, being ill because they have eaten mud. stones, anything they can get their teeth on. Thinking back again with our old dog once he had grown up it was only about £100-200 a year. However in the first 6 months of having our latest we have spent about £400.

If you can go to any breed meetups/spend some time at the breeders it is a great opportunity to get used to the breed and how they react but also to get a feel for how the breeder/other owners train and look after their dogs.

All dog breeds are different and all dogs are different. So don't try and compare your puppy with another puppy and feel downheartened (our puppy is quite naughty)

Weimaraners are great dogs however like gun dogs can be very protective/posessive about people, toys, food. So good training habits built around positive reinforcement are needed from the start. The breeder/local vets should be able to offer advise and may even offer courses to help you learn these things.

The two weeks will fly by when you are home during that inital period get the person who will come around during the day to visit so the dog can associated them with you and if possible take them to any classes so they can follow the consistant training that you are giving the dog.

Dogs can be hard work but the rewards are just amazing.

Remember there is lots of support out there if you need it and it should become a resource that you use. We regularly keep in touch with the breeder and haven taken him to a breed meetup day.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

1) German shepherd
    2) No, she stays outside
    3) N/A
    4) Pretty much all day, she won't let anyone around her
    5 I would say anywhere between $20-$50
    6) None, she hasn't been since she was fixed (spayed)

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

1) crossbreed (black, brown legs, white mark on chest)
    2) Yes, we picked him up from an animal shelter when he was about 2 - so we don't know
    3) No.
    4) 0 - 6 hours
    5) Maybe 30€ a month
    6) Depends. He just had an operation so that would be an extra 1000€ :eek:

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

1) Shih Tzu cross
    2) Crate trained?*
    3) She used to but after enough tellings off she eventually stopped and started to be more obvious when she wants to go out.
    4) None at all, she's very much a people dog. Even has to sleep under my bed at night or else she'll cry.
    5 Don't know really, she has a sausage in the morning and the afternoon meal varies. Sometimes it's leftovers, sometimes it's plain old sachet dog food.
    6) Not much at all. She's had a lump removed and thats it so far (in her 8 year lifetime).

*Google helped... we never used crates, we get padded baskets for our dogs.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

1) We have 2 Cavalier kind charles spaniels
    2) They both sleep in side
    3) The girl sometimes wets her self, but they are training to go out side.
    4) They will go to anyone with food and sit on anyones lap
    5 I would say anywhere between $100+
    6) Prolly 3K - Parents pay for it, they get clipped and bathed etc treated like kings

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

•Four Great Danes
    •All are crate trained. You learn that after you have two couches and a recliner chewed up. Crates are great.
    •Dogs are left alone 2 hrs or less now. Before 6 hours.
    •Spend $220 a month on dog food.
    •No accidents.
    •Lots in vet bills.
    Do your homework before getting a dog. Each breed is different. The dog should fit your life style. Don't get a dog that needs lots of exercise (lab, setter, etc.) and you can't give it. You will have a bored dog and boredom leads to unacceptable behavior. Other breeds have their own needs. Each dog was bred to do something thus the word breed. Many dogs end up in shelters or rescues because breed research wasn't done.
    Work with your dog and it will learn what it is suppose to do and not do.
    Here is a link to the AKC about Weimaraner Breed
    Good luck.

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

1) White Huskey (mix) with Blue Eyes.
    2) He was a stray that wandered into our yard with no tags and flinched every time you'd get near him.
    3) Hoo yeah. But he's mom's dog and she loves him for some reason...
    4) Not much at all
    5 Not sure. Probably like $20-30.
    6) Just about zilch. he's quite healthy.

...and he's a complete noodle. Marshmallow. Pushover. Sissy. Pansy. etc. You can't holler at him or he throws up (which isn't really his fault since he was abused before we got him) and he's quite emotional and sensitive to tones of voice and the way you act.

And he's stubborn, (smart, but stubborn) and doesn't bark at all when people come to the door. I've heard HUskies are usually pretty quiet... We don't have people stop by that often so it's kind of hard to know if he's any protection at all, but he needed a good home.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

1. Shetland Sheepdog.
    2. Crate trained as a puppy/young dog, he is 9 now. Don't use it any more.
    3. On occasion he will have an accident, but usually it is because we haven't taken him out for a long time.
    4. We have left him alone and out of a crate for up to 10 hours on rare occasions.
    5. Not sure.
    6. A few hundred dollars, but not sure of exact amount.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I had a male weimaraner when I was a teenager.

Loved my dog. We did everything together. A true buddy. :)

I grew up on the farm, so he was an outside dog. Occasionally, we would bring him inside the entry way area. I used to spend time with him outdoors, even in the cold weather. We had a neat hut made of straw for him in our barn. Our cat and him slept together for warmth.

One of the saddest days of my life, was putting him down. I was there when the doc did it, and was looking in my dog's trusting eyes. Brought him home and buried him afterwards. A very sad day for me.

Sorry that it has been so long ago, I have no idea what the costs were.

11. MicBook macrumors regular

We have a Black Lab and a Beagle they live outside all day

12. Queso macrumors G4

1) Miniature Schnauzer
    2) Yes, and he worked it out within days of us getting him. Clever little thing :)
    3) No. Not unless you count the occasional being sick.
    4) He's not normally. If we do go out without him, we try to be back within five hours.
    5) Including treats probably around £30
    6) About €70 at the moment to get him back into the UK when we go abroad.

13. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

1) What Kind?
    A black Pug.
    2) Is it crate trained? If so how long did it take to crate train/housebreak it?
    He has a dog door. Has used it since day one. In the first couple weeks we had the odd accident.
    Nope. He is neutered though and this does stop a dog from marking as frequent.
    Almost never. But sometimes I'm out for several hours and he's fine. Dogs just sleep. As long as there is water it's fine.
    A big tip... never ever ever make a big deal when you come home or leave!!! Dogs treat both as anxiety and fear. It's better for your dog to ignore it fifteen minutes before you leave and another ten or so when you come back. It's tough to do at first but remember it's for the animals benefit.
    I buy James Well beloved (good brand) food online for him. £35 for a massive bag that lasts a few months!
    Aaargh. £40 a month in insurance plus about £150 +/- in jabs. Hope this helps. Cheers, Tommy

14. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Yes, Ive heard that from others also. Place the dog in the crate 10-15 minutes before I leave and try to ignore it...Do the same when I get home.

15. LoveMyRedSox macrumors member

OMG...........Weimaraners are sweet dogs but need and love lots of attention. My Weimaraner thinks she's a lap dog. She hasn't calmed down yet and she's 7. She used to out run squirrels and could catch bird's mid flight.

When our blood hound died she was in mourning for several weeks. Maybe being raised as an only will be different. But she also had our poodle mix, but that wasn't the same for her. It made it even more depressing for us to get over the blood hound when we saw her.

She could outrun the invisible fence. She could jump any wooden fence that wasn't extremely high.

She's very lovable and has been very healthy. But just high strung and needs lots of attention and lots of time to explore the outdoors. So if you don't have the money to invest in vet care for any trouble she may get into or for all the flea tick heart worm, possible injuries invisible fence etc. then look for a calmer less sporty breed.

Just my opinion. We live on five acres and have at least 2 1/2 invisible fenced. It is rural here, but still have bicyclist and horses, cars etc drive by. So she gets easily distracted.........Very easily............You need the fence. They are not the type to be caged in, housed or put on a run. They will wrap themselves around a tree. They drink a ton of water too, since they are so busy. She eats a lot.

16. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thats about what I have, is five acres, it also backs up to several hundred acres of a protected, wooded area. Do you feel happy and safe with the invisible fence?

I am fairly active, I walk or run for an hour or so before work, and than usually again for a couple of hours after work. Weekends I usually like to hike alot also.

How old was your dog before you started her on the invisible fence?

17. LoveMyRedSox macrumors member

She was probably about 2

She learned very fast. It would be better to learn at an earlier age. Since Weims are so fast they won't have to challenge it.

I feel very safe with them. But other dogs can get on your property. We have pretty strict laws and with that much acreage I wouldn't think you'd have too much problems either. They are costly but definitely worth it for a dog of that breed. But i'm sure she would love a buddy.

You do have to switch out the batteries, but the dogs will usually stay away even when the batteries die. But don't chance it, since they will figure it out eventually.

18. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

i have a sitzu? his name is crazy peepee
    he is 1 and half yr old.
    i spend around $50/month on him.
    it takes only 3 seconds for him to finish his meal. he never chew the food and just swallow them.
    if he jumps on the table and pee on it.
    His name is CRAZY peepee yeah~~

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

to the OP, i suggest that you get a dog if you can afford it.

i personally do have a dog - a black lab / german sheppard mix

his name is Blade, and has to be one of the happiest dogs alive (or at least he acts that way)

he stays outside all the time, so there's no point in answering your questions exactly.

[​IMG]

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'll bite (pun intended!).

1) Yellow Labrador.
    2) Pretty much everything trained. Service animal (guide dog).
    3) None at all!
    4) Anywhere from a few minutes to 9 hours indoors.
    5) $20/month
    6) none (luckily). Her vet visits come out of her annual stipend.

That bonding time will be extremely important, so be careful when you head back to work. Dogs can have some bouts of separation anxiety to the point where you come back home to no house!

Does your work have a pets policy?

BL.

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Dog 1
    1) What Kind?
    Lab mix
    She's dead now, but she slept pretty much anywhere, except on furniture.
    Occasionally, usually when excited
    Almost all day, indoors in winter, outdoors in summer
    Maybe 15 or 20 bucks. We bought the cheap stuff.
    Maybe 50 or 60 dollars not including the spay bill.

Dog 2, after dog 1 passed away.
    1) What Kind?
    Belgian Tervuran
    Yes. She was given to us when she was nearly 9 years old
    I think one accident in the short time we owned her
    All day, while we are at work, roughly 6 or 7 hours
    25 a month
    Not too much, although in the short time we had her, she needed dental work and had a Urinary tract infection.

The Belgian was a wonderful dog, but she tended to be excessively protective, which wasn't too bad, but she did get into the habit of nipping people (you should see the TEETH these dogs have!). Because of the nipping she was put down. I just couldn't break her of the habit, and I after she nipped my 4 yo nephew, I just didn't feel comfortable with her around kids. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a shelter to take her in (liability issues, of course).

She was also a very, very hairy dog, and we were constantly vacuuming, trying to keep up with the hair, but my wife took scissors to her and took car of that problem. The poor dog looked funny, but was much more comfortable for my wifes efforts.

22. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

1) Long Hair Dachshund.
    2) Lives outside.
    3) N/A
    4) Depends; occasionally the dog could be alone for up to 12 hours, and some days like weekends or school holidays we're home all day.
    5) Our dog's a small/medium size, so he doesn't really eat much. On average $40-$50 in total is spent per month on grooming service, dog food and a new toy if he's good. :)
    6) Also depends- vaccination costs are various, but one time when he was a puppy he swallowed a pebble (he has this thing with rocks), and that cost $3000 to remove. But now that he's older he has now learnt to stay away from rocks. :eek:

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If we're doing ex-dogs :eek:

1) What Kind?
    Poodle/bedlington terrier mix.

The day we got her she slept in a cardboad box filled with old cushions, few days later we got a soft basket and only ever used them till she died.

Only once or twice, mostly when she was bursting and we didn't hear her wanting to go out.

Few hours whilst I was at uni and my folks at work, siblings at school. Always happy when we returned.

She was on a renal diet (expensive) and on pills (£3 a day for 3 years). Very expensive as she got older but in her younger days it was just a mix of dog food and left over tablescraps.

Enough to keep her going and rid of tumours and such. So a lot.

24. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

1) 1 husky mix, 1 weim (silver)
    2) both housebroken, neither crate trained
    3) never, ever. neither one.
    4) uncrated, in the house for 8-14 hours a day, 3 days a week.
    5) food? maybe $40. treats, treats, more treats, and table snacks? tons!
    6) regular checkups and vaccines + grooming + flea/shedding control (husky) = $800/both dogs. but a run-in with a cat and a coffee table left me with a $1800 bill for a broken rib and damaged lymphatic vessel (infection drainage).

Having a weim, they do well as indoor dogs (especially if you will be gone for most of the day) but they need to be exercised almost daily. Mine is particularly needy and clingy, especially if she doesn't get enough attention or exercise.

25. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

1) Jack Russell Terrier, 4 years old now.
    2) She's fully housebroken
    3) Very rarely will she have an accident. Usually left at door letting us know we we've been lax in our duties!
    4) Can range from 1 to 8 hours a day. At first in bathroom/crate now she has run of the house.
    5) Pet food runs about $7 per month. Advantage of a big dog in a small dogs body.:p
    6) Vet bills run between $70-150. Depending on what shots are needed, parasites, etc. Accidents do happen and they can eat something or get hurt so you should plan for other expenses.

She has boundless energy and fetches until she passes out. Always dances on my chest in the morning until I get up and then sits by her leash and won't move until I take her for a walk. Good dog, Molly..:D

Attached Files: