Do you have a loose silent switch? Here's how to fix it.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheSpaz, Nov 2, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So, I had a loose silent switch for a while now and I seem to remember it being loose ever since I dropped my iPhone 3G.

Tonight, I figured out how to fix it.

This fix is very easy, but not for those with weak stomachs about taking apart their iPhone.

Step 1: Take a small screwdriver and unscrew the 2 screws on the bottom of the iPhone on either side of the Dock connector port.

Step 2: Using a suction cup, gently pry the bottom half of the screen up until it pops open.

Step 3: Undo 3 small connectors in the order they're numbered in. On the third one, you have to lift up on the little white tab that is holding the cable securely in place.

Step 3: There is one screw behind the silent switch. Tighten it with your small screwdriver. Test out the switch a few times until you find the tightness you desire.

Step 5: Reassemble the iPhone.

Tip: When putting the 3 connectors back in, make sure 1 and 2 are securely snapped in. You should hear a snap when they're in. It's okay to press hard. If it's not snapping, then you need to line it up better with the connector.

This worked for me. I cannot be held responsible for what you do to your iPhone. Make sure you are brave enough to attempt this. It also wouldn't hurt if your warranty is up because this fix will definitely void your warranty. Proceed at your own risk.

If you want, you can watch a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fF0DF-mbn4 Only watch to where it says "STOP" at 1:46. This will be a great help if my directions are too hard to follow.

2. vespoli macrumors member

Or, if it's bothering you so much, you could send it back to Apple for a replacement —*if it's under warranty.

Either way, exceedingly refreshing to see a post from you that's not 100-percent stupid and worthless. :rolleyes::)

3. phreebees macrumors member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

forwarded the op's instructions to my friend who has a silent switch thats all jumbled up.