Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whats your mbp choice?

• Total voters

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I bought the higher end matte version for peace at mind and the fact that it is my desktop replacement. It also feels a bit more future proof than the base version. (I use to have a base model 24" iMac and always had a little buyers remorse for not springing for the higher end)

The "creative' part of me bought it for use with Serato Scratch Live, and I'm debating whether or not I want Pro-Tools just to make my own remix's/mash up's (when I can't do it on-the-fly via Scratch Live). I plan to do a little casual photography here and there and make my own prints, nothing at all professional but I still chose the matte based on more accurate colors and the fact that the 15" glossy doesn't tend to do well if you're constantly on the go (lighting always changing). Meh, I plan on doing a lot of things with this notebook, haha… Like edit home videos also, nothing HD though...

I'm a casual PC gamer as well, solely Counter-Strike… and eventually… maybe Starcraft 2 ;p

I'm also hoping when I do get this 42" 1080p TV the MBP will be able to play recorded hdtv via the dvi output (at decent quality, because I heard there is some loss going from dvi to hdmi).

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I bought the higher end matte version for peace at mind and the fact that it is my desktop replacement. It also feels a bit more future proof than the base version. (I use to have a base model 24" iMac and always had a little buyers remorse for not springing for the higher end)

The "creative' part of me bought it for use with Serato Scratch Live, and I'm debating whether or not I want Pro-Tools just to make my own remix's/mash up's (when I can't do it on-the-fly via Scratch Live). I plan to do a little casual photography here and there and make my own prints, nothing at all professional but I still chose the matte based on more accurate colors and the fact that the 15" glossy doesn't tend to do well if you're constantly on the go (lighting always changing). Meh, I plan on doing a lot of things with this notebook, haha… Like edit home videos also, nothing HD though...

I'm a casual PC gamer as well, solely Counter-Strike… and eventually… maybe Starcraft 2 ;p

I'm also hoping when I do get this 42" 1080p TV the MBP will be able to play recorded hdtv via the dvi output (at decent quality, because I heard there is some loss going from dvi to hdmi).

so well if im going to be using my laptop 99% at home(no much light)..and i will view photos and movies on it and maybe games....shall i better go for the glossy display?1 =)

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I picked the 2.2 just because the performance between the 2.2 and 2.4 wasn't noticeable and the 2.4's upgrades weren't that spectacular.;)

thats right..2.2>2.4 not a big deal..
BUT!!
256vcard, 160gb>>>faster HDD(optical)<<< so those 2 thing might make me pay the extra month.. =\ ..

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
i went for the the high end 15" mbp, mostly because i could afford it and i figured why not? i plan on having this computer for a good long time so i wanted to buy the best.

fyi i'm using it for recording and audio editing in logic pro and live performance applications in ableton live.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I just got my 2.2 MBP w/CTO 160GB HD today.

I'm in love!

It's almost completely perfect. The only two things I don't care for are the fact that the screen looks yellow when viewed from the sides and that when closed one side of the lid is up a little bit. :)

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I went all out and bought the 17" High res 2.4ghz/256mb video card. I wanted the best I could get because I don't want to buy another computer for a few years. And fortunately at this stage of my life (not married, no kids), I can afford the best :p

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Definitely! Just so long as you're not trying to do the final prints on the photo ;p

Well,all i will not use is final prints or whatever i bet XD...
but are you saying that the glossy screen wont work well with photo editing programmes? or for reading long documents?
im currently using a (non glossy)screen on my windows laptop..everything looks great and it doesnt reflect or show dirt...shall i still get the mbp with non glossy screen?!:D

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
is the glossy screen annoying to work with in a sunny day? -too much light-

To be honest with you, I am almost always indoors so I couldn't really comment on the glare from working outside. Indoors it looks fantastic. I am not a photo/video editor so I don't need color accuracy, just a nice looking screen.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
To be honest with you, I am almost always indoors so I couldn't really comment on the glare from working outside. Indoors it looks fantastic. I am not a photo/video editor so I don't need color accuracy, just a nice looking screen.

sounds pretty good! i will use it for basic stuff aswell....but hey is reading a long text as comfortable on the glossy screen??

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
sounds pretty good! i will use it for basic stuff aswell....but hey is reading a long text as comfortable on the glossy screen??

In your last post you asked if photo editing programs will work on a glossy screen, sure they'll work. But the colors won't be as accurate as they would be compared to a matte screen, and where that matters the most is during final prints.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read some post where people with glossy screens do experience some discomfort while reading long documents/online books.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
In your last post you asked if photo editing programs will work on a glossy screen, sure they'll work. But the colors won't be as accurate as they would be compared to a matte screen, and where that matters the most is during final prints.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read some post where people with glossy screens do experience some discomfort while reading long documents/online books.

well i looked up my Amilo siemens laptop site and it says that my laptop's 15.4 inch display is glossy(i never knew duh!)..and it works great with me..in movies,documents and simple photo editing programmes and simple video editing.....so i think i will go with the glossy one =D

BlueArctos

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Definitely! Just so long as you're not trying to do the final prints on the photo ;p

The colors won't be as accurate as they would be compared to a matte screen, and where that matters the most is during final prints.

Just want to point out that measurements taken with hardware calibration devices indicate both versions of the MacBook Pro screen (matte/glossy) are undesirable when it comes to color accuracy. As far as their relative inaccuracies, I was told the actual values varied enough such that hardware calibration would be necessary on both models. Even after calibration there would be significant deficiencies. It's not best to say that matte is more accurate than glossy, because the actual color values are off significantly in both cases. When considering the actual perception of the finish and the eventual print result, there are additional factors to consider.

hsotnicaM

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
speed. This is the first Mac I've purchased in five years. I went for the best there was. Graphics. Games. Video editing.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
i purchased the high end 15" with a matte screen. I needed the high end bc i am a media production student in college and i edit a lot of video using Final Cut Pro. The high end was the obvious choice. I am just glad to be rid of my Dell piece of junk!

klex

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Well, you can check my signature for my specs. Basically, I bought the high-end because I wanted the the faster processor. Maybe it's only slightly different from the 2.2, but that's how it always is (2.16 vs. 2.33). This way, my laptop will last me longer and always relatively fast. Speed is a big issue for me. If it is even 1 second faster, it's all worth it for me.

I also got matte because I couldn't stand the glossy. Sure it looks cool, but those reflections would really annoy me. Even the silver macbook pro tag under my matte screen kinda bothers me!

pdra05

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Melbourne City, VIC, Australia
I got the higher end 15-inch model (2.4GHz + 256MB vram).. Reasons being that the higher the specs, the longer it will last - I don't want to start shopping for a new notebook in 3 years time! Another reason is that I'm a design student and I'll be doing a lot of 3D stuff in the years to come. Hence, investing on a higher-end notebook is worth it. :cool:

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
I went with the 2.4 MBP. I plan on having this computer for a couple years, and the VRAM is pretty much the only important thing (aside from processor) that I can't upgrade when necessary, such as a bigger HD or more RAM...who knows what video requirements will be in the near future :D

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
High end. I like my machines to stay 'current' for as long as possible, and this usually involves buying the highest spec available at any given time. I despise any computer that slows me down, regardless of how many applications I have open (which is why I also use 4GB's RAM in this), and use CS3.

I also like to play WoW, and wanted the best portable playing experience I could get on a Mac for the rare occasions when I get chance to play.

However, there's not a great deal between the low and high end MBP's. I don't doubt that the lower end configurations would have been capable of meeting my needs. It's more a case of wanting that extra headroom for the situations when my computer needs to deal with whatever I need to throw at it in a given situation.

kubklub

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
Heart of EU
just ordered

I ordered the 2,2 mbp last week, will arrive at the end of july. With a 250 GB WD and 4GB of Kingston, I'll get it for under 2000 Euro (after selling the original components), so far, still a lot cheaper then the 2.4 15inch (2299euro).

Vuzie

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Maryland
Thought about the 2.4 and the better graphics card... but really couldn't justify the extra clams for the graphics card, since I don't do anything really that is graphics intensive to that degree. Was watching some "high-def" stuff the other night and have to say, I'm pretty impressed with what I have :D (below, matte screen, 128 graphics card). Heck it even smokes "nicer" machines I have at work....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.