Do you have a Passcode on your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Armen, May 22, 2014.

?

Do you use a Passcode on your iPhone?

1. Yes

102 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. I have a 5S and use fingerprint security feature

102 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I want to get a feel of how many users here actually secure their phones.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Of course. Who doesn't?

3. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

You'd be surprised. Waiting on Poll results.

4. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Unless you have sensitive documents, I see no need to passlock your phone. I think it's funny how paranoid people are with their phones. I have a 5s, so I have one by default.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Should have added to the poll if we have both passcode and fingerprint reader activated like I do

6. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Irrelevant because if you have Touch ID enabled, a passcode is mandatory.

7. Jord5i macrumors member

Not irrelevant. Many people who have touch ID use it because it's so simple, but wouldn't otherwise use a passcode. I for one, didn't have a passcode on my 4s, but do now I have a 5s.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That poll in this forum is not going to represent "out there" where I suspect way more than plenty of people don't bother with a passcode. They're the same people who use the same password for everything they can, and otherwise post their passes on post-it notes on the bezel of their display.

Not that there won't be some MacR members in that category as well...

9. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

But he said "if we have both passcode and fingerprint reader activated". What I'm saying is that you NEED a passcode with Touch ID enabled. Do you know what, I can't even explain myself but I know what I'm getting at.

10. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I voted for TouchID because that's what I use on my 5S, but I recently went back to having a 4-digit code on my 5C and iPad rMini as well....

My Air which spends most of its time at home isn't locked, but also doesn't have any email or social networking accounts attached to it.

I really can't wait for the iPad to come out with TouchID. A retina iPad mini with TouchID, LTE and 128 GB of storage is going to last me a LONG time and get a LOT of use.

11. Ram27 macrumors member

There's nothing on my phone. I have games and music. I have some accounts but nothing really important. I even delete my old text messages. Email is mostly spam or forum passwords. I don't have any banking stuff on there. No point slowing down the usability of it.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As stated, for iPhone5S, you are required

13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

No, never, same as screen protectors a royal PITA.

14. The Doctor11, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  15. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I had a passcode on my iPhone 5 and now I rarely use it because my 5s has TouchID which works surprisingly well.

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

No passcode on my iPhone 5 or iPad mini. My banking app requires a login each time, and I use 1Password to generate passwords that I don't need to memorize. Not using a passcode makes it easier to pass my phone off to my boyfriend or another passenger in the car if somebody calls or texts me. My boyfriend doesn't use a passcode on his iPhone for the same reason. It also creates a level of trust in our relationship: our phones are no secret to the other person, and we have nothing to hide from them.

17. fcomstoc macrumors member

fcomstoc

I have a passcode on both of my iPhones, they have email (business and personal) and my dropbox account containing a lot of sensitive documents, as well as other things, I always think its a good idea to protect your phone.

18. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Before I got my 5S, I used a 4 digit pass code that was required every 5 minutes. Now with the 5S, I use a complex pass code and require it immediately. Much less cumbersome for me and adds a little more security. Can't beat that.

19. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

TouchID has been great for me. Had three iPhones and it's been my favourite addition so far. I use a complex passcode with it (4 digit one is much easier to brute force I believe) and require it immediately.

Glad to see security is becoming much more secure on laptops and smartphones. Would love to see TouchID incorporated into all of Apple's products.

20. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Turned the fingerprint scanner off for the first time since getting my 5s on release day last week. Best choice ever. Its annoying to have to scan my finger every time my phone locks. I wish I could set it to ask for my print every 5, 10 min just like a digit passcode.

I have a simple passcode set for 1 hour now. Its so nice to swipe a notification from the lock screen and be taken right to it and not have to scan my finger print and wait.

21. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Nah, can't be arsed. If I discover that my phone is gone, I erase everything with Find My iPhone.

22. C DM, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

I was curious to see how this might have changed over time, especially since TouchID, and came across a few previous threads about this kind of things (more for reference than anything else):

Most recent thread asking this from earlier in 2014 (but without a poll unfortunately):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1711015

Similar thread from 2009 (although without a poll unfortunately):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=772812

Perhaps one of the first ones about this from 2007 (with a poll actually):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=329217

And one from 2010 as to why people might use passcodes:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=960790

23. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

And nowadays, who doesn't have some info of value stored on the phone? Sheesh. Passcodes are easy safequards.

24. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Back when I had my 4S I used a passcode and now that I have a 5S I use touch id. My iPad Mini which rarely leaves home doesn't have one though.