Do you have a QR code reader on your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cg399, Jun 26, 2013.

?

Do you have a QR code reader on your iPhone?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2013.
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. What is a QR Code?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cg399, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

cg399 macrumors member

cg399

Hi all,

I understand that this won't be the most representative sample; but I'm wondering if, in the middle of 2013, QR code scanning has really taken off in techie circles.

Do you have a QR code reader on your phone? Do you use it? Do you ever scan codes from adverts or for promotions?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

C

EDIT: Realised this should be in the Apps section and will try to get it moved...

2. hafr macrumors 68030

I have one installed, but I don't think I scan QR codes more than twice per year.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

4. paulcdb macrumors regular

i have one for adding the wifi settings.

If you don't have to type it, why not have yourself a 63 character wifi key? :p

5. cynics macrumors G3

I have one but only because it scans barcodes. If you are ever window shopping its nice to make a list then find the best prices at home at your leisure.

I've only scanned a QR once I think.

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have one that scans barcodes/ QR codes. I mainly use the barcode scanner for pricey stores that can match amazon prices:)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I have the AT&T scanner, but have probably used it a total of once or twice.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't have an iPhone right now, but I'd like to pitch in anyway.

QR codes are pretty valuable when used right. But it's the whole having to download a separate app and taking a picture that is the problem. I think if you didn't have to do that, more people would actually flip through magazines and newspapers (and look at signs for them too) and actually consider taking out their phone to capture it to learn more about something.

People who aren't using the accessibility features of iOS should be able to assign the three taps to their camera in order to make QR scanning more efficient. For Android people, a long press of the search button. And it should be instant, not even showing you the camera view. Our phones are 8MP+ now and have good focusing that it can be something that takes a mere second to do.

And no, I don't have an app right now either. :eek:

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have an app that scans QR codes and bar codes. I use it for both on occasion.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Does the Google app read them?

I think so.

If yes, then I guess I have one!

Now ask me if I use it.

11. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I think QR codes are pretty lame and a gimmick at best. There's almost nobody around me that scans a QR code whenever the opportunity arises.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I deleted a QR scanner app a while ago, and haven't regretted it since.

For barcodes and price comparisons, the Amazon app has a barcode scanner built in.

A funny story though: I see ads with QR codes often on the Boston Subway. Some of the lines never go above ground, and have very little no reception anywhere. Talk about a bad ad experience. Scan code, page not found. *sad trombone*

13. jcpb macrumors 6502a

USA (and Canada, by direct extension) lags behind other nations when it comes to new technology adoption. NFC is slowly getting any air time over here, QR code is at best uncommon. Across the Pacific, however, and both are relatively old hat tech...

14. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I had one installed. Red Laser or something like that. I've used it maybe twice in the past 3 years. I think iOS 7 has a reader built in to the camera app, so I've already gone ahead and deleted Red Laser.

15. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

I have one installed, I have used it probably around 5 times. Not something that is of great importance.

16. cg399 thread starter macrumors member

cg399

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Considering these forums are full of relatively tech-savvy people, I guess QR codes are a bit of a white elephant.

Thanks again!

C

17. moldy lunchbox, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014

moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

In iOS 7 you automatically get a qr scanner in the Passbook app. Whether you use it or not is a better question.

18. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I have one and am gradually using it more. I drag down to get spotlight search, type QR and launch the app. It converts very quickly. Nice way to pull up a web link from an ad. I just recently learned you can encode your contact information in a QR code. Next go around that goes on the back of my business card.

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

When they post a link, at least I have a warning it's going to an Ukrainian site. QR code, um... no thanks.