Do you have an anti-virus on your MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kalebnate, Oct 2, 2014.

?

Do you have an AntiVirus ?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    76.3%
  3. Not at the moment, but planning to

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. kalebnate, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

kalebnate macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if it is the time to get one with all the malware (botnet) news etc.

If you do have one, please state which one and why did you get it.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, I don't have one. I think as long as you practice safe computer, i.e., don't agree to install anything that you don't know and careful where you surf, you'll be fine.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

4. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree, but read this : http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/02/new-m...eddit-to-find-out-what-servers-to-connect-to/

Thanks for the links and info, I do agree that viruses can't run due to the macs infrastructure, but what about this malware ? : http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/02/new-m...eddit-to-find-out-what-servers-to-connect-to/

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It hasn't been made clear how that malware is introduced to computers. It's most likely through the user taking some ill-advised action, such as installing software from an unreliable source. Until the method of introduction is discovered, no defense can be devised. No antivirus app will provide protection beyond what you can achieve by practicing safe computing.

6. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Anything out there that can protect against malware/trojans ? Or can they simply not be injected in your MBP unless you install intruding .dmg files and give them full access manually ?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All OS X Trojans in the wild can be avoided by practicing safe computing, as described in the link I provided. There have been instances when practicing safe computing avoided malware that no antivirus app was able to detect.

8. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

I have ClamXav installed but don't have it running. I installed it because I have recommended a client install it in the past and anything I recommend to clients I will install myself to make sure there are no issues. I ran it about a month ago just for the heck of it and it found a couple of infected Windows exe files on a flash drive I carry for my work.