Do you have an ipod touch you use a lot?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cebiff53, Sep 14, 2008.

1. cebiff53 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about getting a new ipod since i currently have a 2g ipod nano with 4gb of music and around 8gb of music (not to mention the fact that I'd like to have videos :( )

I was going to get an ipod touch 16gb, but wow, $300 is a bit much. So I'm wondering, if anyone who uses an ipod touch a lot can tell me how it is worth it? I'd probably get a 16gb nano for $200 if i don't get this

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Unless you want to browse the web, run apps etc. then the Nano will be fine.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

You're right. $300 is high for a media player. The Touch, however, is far more than a media player. If you have wifi in your house, then get one. 50% of the apps on a Touch require wifi, but that wifi connects you to far more than it's internal content. I use mine every day. Check weather. Read, create, reply, forward email. Browse the web. Remote Control my PC's iTunes app. I can go on almost forever considering the Touch now has access to a few thousand apps, with the list growing every day.

4. Renator macrumors member

I was interested in something to replace an older Palm T/X -- PDA functions and still have a decent audio player. When the upgrades came through in January I chose the 16gig Touch. I've never looked back. Mine does not have a speaker (the new ones do) so the alarm function is wimpy. However, I use my Touch a few hours daily. Listening to tunes and a book. Calendar and address functions. I check email and weather. Sometimes I use the "gps-like" function especially when I have a map loaded and can get position updates on route. Sometimes I luck out an lock onto a unprotected wi-fi signal and the Touch downloads new maps. I love the cross word puzzles and have a few other games. Yeah -- I use it constantly. Syncing is a snap. With the 16 gig I was able to put my entire audio collection on it, including some ripped 33 1/3 LPs.

Hope this helps.

5. cebiff53 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware it had GPS like qualities! I have a WPA encrypted wireless network at home (i hope it supports WPA), and I would love to be able to save maps for future viewing and etc. Do you constantly need wifi to look at maps or can you just load it once and you're good?

I really wanted an iPhone for all the apps and etc, but now that I think about it, I'm rarely without access to wireless internet. Then again, I have a laptop so it feels a bit like i'm getting an ipod touch to do osmething my laptop could easily do.

Hm, this is going to take abit of thinking.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

It is a lot of money, especially to a kid who saved up doing chores for half a year + birthday money to get it (me :eek:). I think it's worth it though. With the touch, you get access to the app store. Not an hour ago I bought X-Plane, a flight simulator. Great graphics, and smooth. I was really impressed.

I don't blame you if you get the ipod nano. Who can resist shake-to-shuffle? :D

It locates your position based on the IP address assigned to you or something like that.

Do you need all 16GB? Maybe an 8GB touch would best fit your needs.