Do you have any recommendation for the external hub?

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
hi,

I hate the idea to pull down Mac mini every time to look for any USB or Thunderbolt ports that I could plug into...

what's your recommendation for the external hub?

My requirement is:

Maximum performance up to 40 Gbps data transfer.
Looking good as Mac mini 2018 Space Grey.

Just a few USB and few Thunderbolt.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2011
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Well, you won't get a "few" Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is not hub-able, you could get ONE pass-through though. If you just need USB, any USB 3.0 hub is fine. If you want "A" Thunderbolt, get a Thunderbolt dock - but they're pricey and duplicate a lot of ports that are built into the Mini, so you'd be better off just positioning it where you can get to the ports.

Reactions: MacWorld78

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Well, you won't get a "few" Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is not hub-able, you could get ONE pass-through though. If you just need USB, any USB 3.0 hub is fine. If you want "A" Thunderbolt, get a Thunderbolt dock - but they're pricey and duplicate a lot of ports that are built into the Mini, so you'd be better off just positioning it where you can get to the ports.
Thanks for the information, I didn't really know about that Thunderbolt is not hub-able. Look like I'm stuck with this idea a USB 3.1 hub - I hope they are not too expensive like Thunderbolt!

Have you got any recommendation for the USB 3.1 data hub?

I'm just trying to find the fastest external SSD where I could run a VMware project.